Shorted out my first motherboard when attaching front case components. How do I prevent it?

hdubb

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
Just got the replacement in the mail.

I have the asus maximus hero viii and my case is the nzxt h440

My setup worked and I was able to install windows.

But I tried to plug in the wires so I wouldn't have to always press start on the motherboard to turn on the computer.

I took some pictures of my pins.
http://imgur.com/a/9QKZv

Solution
as per above...

1) Avoid the extra connector unit
2) Plug in ONLY the power button connector and be certain it's correctly attached (later attach others one at a time)

Use the motherboard manual for reference.

(If you shorted something out then I must assume you incorrectly attached something across pins not meant to be connected.)

Anyway, I'm going to look at the manual quickly and post below.

DeadlyDays

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
I turn on one of my older machines by jumping the power pins with my finger, I just touch my finger to both the power pins on the mobo to turn it on lol.

So you could try directly plugging in only the power button. Verify the plugs ground is going into the ground pin on the mobo itself, verify with motherboard manual. The connector will have a symbol or something on the connector itself telling you ground. Otherwise you have to start testing things on your case to verify what everything is

as per above...

1) Avoid the extra connector unit
2) Plug in ONLY the power button connector and be certain it's correctly attached (later attach others one at a time)

Use the motherboard manual for reference.

(If you shorted something out then I must assume you incorrectly attached something across pins not meant to be connected.)

Anyway, I'm going to look at the manual quickly and post below.

Solution

DeadlyDays

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
if you have a basic voltage tester you can start testing the case connectors to verify everything is kosher.

And are you just assuming the case shorted the mobo out? there shouldn't be enough power going through any of those to do anything. Maybe you have something connector wrong on a case light, and you have a molex power going straight through the case connector for one of the lights or something. That would be silly though....no idea how they would mess that up.

hdubb

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
I honestly do not know how it shorted it out.
It was working fine without my GPU so I attached my GPU but it needed 16 pins. I only had a 8 and a 6 so when I turned on the GPU, it said to attach PCiE cables or something and I found out I needed two wires because it was 8 pin for each wire.

So I opened my case and decided that I did not want to turn on the computer through the motherboard so I attached all the wires from my case, USB 2.0 and 3.0, HD audio, power and reset. Then after checking everything, I turned it on with the power button from the case.

The computer turned on for a split second and then turned off.

I even took out the motherboard from the case, with only the CPU and HSF and it still did not turn on.

So as of this post, I have everything on my computer connected except the GPU, and front case connections (USB 2.0 and 3.0, HD audio, power and reset) and it is working.

I don't want to short out this motherboard so I want to be very careful and not make a mistake.

hdubb

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
http://imgur.com/a/9QKZv

on the imgur link that I posted, I have the pins placed in the adapter thing that was provided with the motherboard.
If anyone can review the cables and verify that I have placed them correctly?

I am not sure of the reset cable because my reset cable is 2 pin but the one provided is 3 pin.