SHORTEN too long FILE NAME IN WIN 10 - CAN'T ACESS IN FILE EXPLORER BEECAUSE OF NAME LENGTH

Mikebrinn

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016
Windows 10 says the file name for a song is too long to be copied. It downloaded correctly, but now I can't rename or move it.

Solution
Hello Mikebrinn

You can use the DOS command to rename the file. Here's how:

> Move all other files (if there are any) to a different folder leaving the culprit one alone at the current location.

> Move one level up and go to the parent folder.

> After this, SHIFT + right-click the folder containing the culprit file.

> Click Open command window here from the context menu.

> In the command window, type REN *.MP3 ABC.MP3 and press Enter. (Here I assume that the audio file is in MP3 format. If the file has a different extension, replace .MP3 with that one.) (Use RENAME if REN doesn't work.)

This should rename the file to ABC and you can then rename it again as needed from there.

Feel free to...
Hello Mikebrinn

You can use the DOS command to rename the file. Here's how:

> Move all other files (if there are any) to a different folder leaving the culprit one alone at the current location.

> Move one level up and go to the parent folder.

> After this, SHIFT + right-click the folder containing the culprit file.

> Click Open command window here from the context menu.

> In the command window, type REN *.MP3 ABC.MP3 and press Enter. (Here I assume that the audio file is in MP3 format. If the file has a different extension, replace .MP3 with that one.) (Use RENAME if REN doesn't work.)

This should rename the file to ABC and you can then rename it again as needed from there.

Feel free to report back if any further assistance is needed.

Cheers!!

Solution