[SOLVED] Shorting the green and black wires in a psu

May 24, 2020
Hi to All,
Could I use a spst switch between the green and black wires to turn on the psu remotely? As I have read in other threads it is psu power on from the power switch of the pc. Would it cause any damage to connected components. Thanks.
Mark.

Solution
You are talking about the green, #14 pin in the ATX bundle right? It's the same thing as pressing the power button so it won't damage anything. Just make sure your switch is a momentary contact switch. You don't want a normal SPST switch because then the PC will think the power button is being pressed in and will turn off.

4745454b

Titan
You are talking about the green, #14 pin in the ATX bundle right? It's the same thing as pressing the power button so it won't damage anything. Just make sure your switch is a momentary contact switch. You don't want a normal SPST switch because then the PC will think the power button is being pressed in and will turn off.

Solution

4745454b

Titan
to turn on the psu remotely

I would assume that. I know they have switches attached to remotes so you can turn things on without even being near it. Some people have kids and put their PCs behind locked glass cases. Using something like this will allow them to turn on the PC without having to open the case. Personally I'd use wake on keypress. But perhaps the wireless keyboard doesn't support that for some reason?

May 24, 2020
Thanks for your quick responses. I think it is green #16 and black #17. I understand that I can't keep the green and black wires connected without a load but at the moment I have it permanently wired under load. The project I am doing happens to need +12, Ground and -12, 3.3v and 5v, so a pc psu is ideal. It is working fine so far but I am housing my project in one case and the psu in another. The psu I am using is a Kolink 250w, plenty for my needs but it comes without a switch near the plug socket at the back, that is why I wondered about the green and black wires; I can put a switch on the front of the case. I hadn't realised that the power switch of a pc was push to make/break and not latching. I will investigate that further 'cos it opens up numerous possibilities. On the other hand it would suggest that when testing a psu with the paper clip method you could remove the paper clip and the psu would stay powered on. Thank you again for your rapid responses.
Mark.

May 24, 2020
Hi All, I should clarify that this is not for my pc. My pc consists of an Antec 850w psu in a Enthoo primo Case, Amd 1700x Asus Rog C6H mobo and 2x GTX 970 Sli, 16Gig (4x4) Dominator memory with a bespoke 14/10 hard tube watercooling system including 2x ddc in a series housing (aquacover), an EKWB motherboard waterblock and EKWB fittings; other ancillary bits and pieces.
The question I asked is for a side project I am undertaking. Thank you again for all your help and advice.
Mark.

Ralston18

Titan
Seconding @Nemesia.

You will need either a switched wall outlet or more likely (and easier) some sort of inline switch.

You could use a power strip that has its' own on/off switch and perhaps its' own circuit breaker as well.

Another option is a switch similar to the following:

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-1470-W-125-Volt-3-Wire-Grounded/dp/B01894YMX4?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_10

I have used each option in situations when there is a requirement to physically turn the power on/off for switchless device.

I tend to prefer the power strip as it allows for longer connections and is overall more flexible with respect to physical installation and use.

May 24, 2020
Hi and thanks to all that have replied to my question.
I didn't want to mention my project because I thought it would cloud the issue, (I thought it was a simple question, seems not), but I feel I need to. I am using a RPI 3B+ and a ESS9038Q2M Dual Mono Dac board with an Isolator board, Standard I/V output board and an ESS Controller for the Dual Mono Dac. The output opamps are 2114D Jrc, to be updated to either V5i semi-discrete or V5 discrete opamps. The crystals are also basic, like the opamps just to prove it works but I have two Crystek crystals on order. I have included an image, 'xcuse the quality, I edited it to get the size down for uploading. At the moment, while assembling/trying it out I am using the Kolink SFX psu to power it, a 12v wallwart to power My WD 1TB external drive (which has the Hi-Def (anything above 16/44.1 flac) and CD quality (16/44.1flac) files onboard) and a standard 5v/2A wallwart to power the RPi. These are plugged into a 4way individually switched power strip. I am hoping to get it down to 1 plug. As shown, the psu is in a Silverstone sfx case and the Dac will be housed in the case it is sitting on. I am considering using Neutrik 6 pin xlrs to connect the two cases. In time the psu will be swapped for either rechargeable LiPo or Ultracaps.
Now, will I blow anything up using the Psu as I am doing. Thanks again guys.
Mark.

Dual Dac