stlsailor

Honorable
Sep 25, 2017
I am using a Fractal Design Define 7 case with a 280mm front-mounted intake radiator and I am putting an optical drive in the case. That leaves me two options for front mounting the radiator.

1. I can rest it on the bottom as the manual shows. That leaves a gap on top between the optical drive and the top of the radiator.
  2. I can mount it with the top flush with the bottom of the optical drive. That leaves a gap on bottom.
The bottom of the case is a shroud containing (for now) the PSU and two HDDs.

My thought is that it probably doesn't matter. But it it did matter, I'd think the following:

Mounting it on the top forces the air into the main body of the case which should increase airflow across the CPU and graphics card. It would also mean that it will be held in place only by the screws without a solid base on which to rest.

Mounting it at the bottom, as the manual shows, provides a solid base on which for it to rest. Some of the air would be directed into the shroud across the HDDs, but there are plenty of ventilation holes in the top of the shroud (though some are blocked by the PSU) below the CPU and graphics card, so air could flow out across the CPU and graphics card to the exhaust fan at the top of the rear of the case. The bottom of the case is ventilated so air could blow out the bottom, I suppose.

I may not overclock and if I do it won't be too intensely, so I'm thinking it really doesn't matter and I'll probably just mount it at the bottom. Just want to be sure I'm not missing something.

Solution
The rad never RESTS on anything. It's bolted to the case mounts.

Mount it as high up as possible so you keep as much air as possible in the main body of the case instead of down inside the PSU shroud.

stlsailor

Honorable
Sep 25, 2017
The rad never RESTS on anything. It's bolted to the case mounts.

Mount it as high up as possible so you keep as much air as possible in the main body of the case instead of down inside the PSU shroud.

Thanks. After posting, and then later looking at it further, I'd changed my mind and decide mounting it toward the top of the front of the case other than the bottom seemed to be more appropriate. I appreciate your confirmation of this.

TRENDING THREADS