Question Should I add exhaust fan at the top like shown in pic?

Znn

Prominent
Aug 30, 2022
So I have 5 intake at the front, which I think is technically just 3.. btw, the fans that are attached to radiator, the 2 fans infront of radiator, and the top exhaust fan came with my prebuilt pc, as well as the motherboard. I'm essentially moving my parts to this new case, airflow 5000d, so I can fit my 4080 in it

should I keep the exhaust on the back only or should I add one more exhaust at the top corner like shown in the picture? I'm open to buying more fans but would rather not if necessary....

but in the situation where I can only use what I have, what position would be best if I were to use only 1 top exhaust fan? (Positions shown in picture)

Since I can't use my PC rn, I'm only providing Imgur pics.

Here is pic

Last edited:
So I have 5 intake at the front, which I think is technically just 3..
This is excessive. There's no need for 7 system fans.
3 fans in front and 1 fan in back is perfectly enough.
Should I add exhaust fan at the top like shown in pic?
No. Remove top exhaust fan.

Also remove those two fans from radiator. They are not necessary.
And flip radiator upside down (so hoses are connected at bottom instead).

BTW what model pc case is that? Does it have closed or mesh front?

Last edited:

Znn

Prominent
Aug 30, 2022
This is excessive.

No. Remove top exhaust fan.

Also remove those two fans from radiator. They are not necessary.
And flip radiator upside down (so hoses are connected at bottom instead).

BTW what model pc case is that? Does it have closed or mesh front?
Airflow 5000D, u can search up but it has mesh front.

Also why would u suggest that the radiator should be flipped? I read that it was something about air bubbles, but is that it?

Btw, the two fans attached with the radiator came with my prebuilt which I moved to the bigger case. I'll have to edit that into my post

Airflow 5000D, u can search up but it has mesh front.

Also why would u suggest that the radiator should be flipped? I read that it was something about air bubbles, but is that it?

Btw, the two fans attached with the radiator came with my prebuilt which I moved to the bigger case. I'll have to edit that into my post
Radiator hoses should be at bottom because there is always an air bubble/pocket there as they are not filled up all the way because of need for liquid expansion when heated.
Doubling fans on a thin radiator like that may have opposite (from expected) effect if they are not properly set (back fans on radiator need to have higher air flow than front ones otherwise they will restrict airflow.)
For overall cooling, air intake and exhaust should be balanced or hot pockets can form in the case.
Intake and exhaust fans should be separated as far as possible to prevent one taking air from another before it reaches all components and rendering less useful.

Reactions: Znn
Air bubbles get accumulated in top of the radiator.
With hoses up - air bubble gets pushed to pump.
This will result in additional sounds coming from radiator/pump.

In extreme situations (not here though), if pump is in highest point of the loop,
air bubble accumulates in pump. This impedes liquid flow and can eventually kill the pump.

Last edited:
Reactions: CountMike and Znn

Znn

Prominent
Aug 30, 2022
Radiator hoses should be at bottom because there is always an air bubble/pocket there as they are not filled up all the way because of need for liquid expansion when heated.
Doubling fans on a thin radiator like that may have opposite (from expected) effect if they are not properly set (back fans on radiator need to have higher air flow than front ones otherwise they will restrict airflow.)
For overall cooling, air intake and exhaust should be balanced or hot pockets can form in the case.
Intake and exhaust fans should be separated as far as possible to prevent one taking air from another before it reaches all components and rendering less useful.
So in ur opinion would I be better off to remove the top exhaust fan or keep it?

Znn

Prominent
Aug 30, 2022
So my case is airflow 5000d. with the amount of fans I have (7) what would be the best config for good airflow? The front of the case fits 3, back fits 1, top I think fits 3, there's a side panel that fits 3, and the front that also fits 3.

Here's how my case currently looks.

So my case is airflow 5000d. with the amount of fans I have (7) what would be the best config for good airflow? The front of the case fits 3, back fits 1, top I think fits 3, there's a side panel that fits 3, and the front that also fits 3.
Why are you asking the same thing again?

Answer is still the same - 3 intake fans in front, 1 exhaust fan in rear.
No need for 7 fans.

Reactions: Znn

TRENDING THREADS