[SOLVED] Should I allow cracked programs on my PC?

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
My son likes installing cracked programs on our PC (some of them are unafordable, such as Vegas Pro).

Windows 10 often flags them as trojans and quarantines or recommends removing them.

He insists that he checks YouTube videos and stuff and that these are just false positives.

My view is that he shouldn't install any illegal programs, so I pay him what I can, but not any cracked programs.

We use this PC for the family: we buy online and do everything with this PC: buy online, check our bank accounts etc.
Another doubt is: if I buy him a PC for gaming and allow him to use cracked programs, would this put the rest of the computers connected to the same router as well?

I'd welcome any expert opinions on this.

Solution
Should I allow cracked programs on my PC?

For multiple reasons, absolutely not. Why is this even a question?

"some of them are unafordable, such as Vegas Pro "
Really? Why the actual need for that specific tool?
Yes, Vegas Pro is an expensive tool.
But, if not in an actual employment situation, there are many. many free alternatives.
And IF in an employment situation, the company pays for the license.

Cracked applications usually include all sorts of malware. Trojans, keyloggers, bitcoin miners, ransomware...
Some dude on utube says it is safe? Yeah, right.

Cracked application is little different than outright theft.

Bank account access on the same system...

USAFRet

Titan
Should I allow cracked programs on my PC?

But, if not in an actual employment situation, there are many. many free alternatives.

Cracked applications usually include all sorts of malware. Trojans, keyloggers, bitcoin miners, ransomware...

Bank account access on the same system as cracked application? Good luck. You WILL get hacked.
On the same network? Same thing.

There are all sorts of false justifications revolving around using cracked programs.
They are all false.

There are a zillion actually free applications that will do 90-99% of what the paid ones do.
If your job requires Vegas Pro/Photoshop/whatever...the job will pay for that license.
All else, a free or low cost alternative.

Solution

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

Bank account access on the same system as cracked application? Good luck. You WILL get hacked.
On the same network? Same thing.

There are all sorts of false justifications revolving around using cracked programs.
They are all false.

There are a zillion actually free applications that will do 90-99% of what the paid ones do.
If your job requires Vegas Pro/Photoshop/whatever...the job will pay for that license.
All else, a free or low cost alternative.

I absolutely agree. Thank you.

USAFRet

Titan
I just wanted some opinions as I'm not a security expert. I've wiped our 3 Windows computers and set up Microsoft Family safety. It's not easy to control teens on this as it's so widespread, much more when they're already addicted to all this expensive cracked software.
Thanks
And we're just saying....cracked software is a seriously bad idea, on multiple levels.

kanewolf

Titan
I just wanted some opinions as I'm not a security expert. I've wiped our 3 Windows computers and set up Microsoft Family safety. It's not easy to control teens on this as it's so widespread, much more when they're already addicted to all this expensive cracked software.
Thanks
Even without the security aspects. It is the ethical problem. You are telling your son that it is sometimes OK to steal. That is what cracked programs are. Theft.

If he actually needs professional software, he is using it for a job, and thus the income or the employer should pay for the application. If he uses the software for school, the school should pay for it, if the software is 100% required. Otherwise, just get a free video editor.

Modifying most programs is illegal. Distributing paid software for free is illegal. Its all in that terms and conditions you check when you download VALID copies of most programs. Cracked programs is just as illegal as any other form of piracy.

The software crackers themselves don't put work into cracking software then risk being arrested for no benefit. There in 99% of cases will be some sort of code you don't want contained in the cracked software copy. If you can't afford the software I assume you also can't afford having your bank account emptied by a hacker that gained access through your cracked software.

False positives happen, but they are very unlikely to be false positives when dealing with very likely infected downloads. I wouldn't trust some random person on YouTube.