[SOLVED] Should I be getting better temps?

culzone

Honorable
Apr 27, 2016
Im running a 9900k at 4.9ghz 1.26v
Im reaching temps of around 90C
I did some tests earlier on 1.35v and I was hitting 100C after about 10min
Prime95 v26.6
Should I be getting better temps?
Using the following:
2st 26mm 240mm radiators
1st 26mm 120mm radiator
EK-XRES 140 revo D5 PUMP
All with high SP fans, one of the rads in push/pull also.
I have a 2080 ti in the loop also but it is under no load at all.
Should I be getting better temps?

Solution
Prime 95 is a synthetic bench and not representative of real world activity. If your temps are under control, IE the system is able to maintain 90c, without rising, then it's fine. In normal workloads you are unlikely to see similar temps. (in this case I would say that a normal workload is gaming. Based on the typical use case of this forum.)

As for why you got better temps with the 360 rad. 120 =/= 120mm^2 of radiator. it's slightly less due to the frame. So 120+240 =/= 360. Assuming the same thickness on both. So you've actually downsized slightly. From 360 to like a 345 and it sounds like you've added to your overclock as well. More load and smaller rads is going to give you higher temps.

But now that you've gone custom you can...
Prime 95 is a synthetic bench and not representative of real world activity. If your temps are under control, IE the system is able to maintain 90c, without rising, then it's fine. In normal workloads you are unlikely to see similar temps. (in this case I would say that a normal workload is gaming. Based on the typical use case of this forum.)

As for why you got better temps with the 360 rad. 120 =/= 120mm^2 of radiator. it's slightly less due to the frame. So 120+240 =/= 360. Assuming the same thickness on both. So you've actually downsized slightly. From 360 to like a 345 and it sounds like you've added to your overclock as well. More load and smaller rads is going to give you higher temps.

But now that you've gone custom you can add all the radiators.

Solution

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Depends - what were the temps you got previously? You still have a 360mm radiator worth of cooling, although you're wanting to cool a very warm CPU + a relatively warm GPU with the same surface area...strange choice not to add more radiator space but adding a 250+ watt GPU.

Is the pump running at 100%? Are radiator fans running 100%?