Question Should I be worried?

yusuffahmed242

Reputable
Sep 6, 2017
I recently got a new pc with a 3070, I ran furmark and got a little red flicker on the top left of the fur thing. This doesn't seem to happen in games so far. Is this normal and can I just ignore it? Temps were fine, didn't get past 70 degrees. Please help!

yusuffahmed242

Reputable
Sep 6, 2017
Hey there,

Are you overclocking the GPU?

Please list all of your specs including PSU make and model.
Rtx 3070 gigabyte gaming OC
Ryzen 7 3700x
aorus p750W
16 gb 3600 mhz ram

and no I wasn't overclocking. I also just tested ungine heaven and got no artifacts there either, so the only outlier seems to be furmark with the honestly barely noticable artifact, it's not big and it barely appears

yusuffahmed242

Reputable
Sep 6, 2017
Normally little glitches like that are Overclock related.

Unusual it's only in one app. Could be a driver bug. Maybe rollback/update GPU driver using DDU to uninstall first. See if that helps.
I did roll back to 511.76 (don't remember the exact number) and it was still there, could it be a problem with furmark itself? and even if it is my hardware doesn't this mean it'll pretty much never appear? sorry I'm really inexperienced in this as this is my first proper build and I'm really worried. the artifact is also barely noticable and doesn't seem to be picked up by my phone camera due to how subtle it is, just wanted to mention this in case it changes anything.

I did roll back to 511.76 (don't remember the exact number) and it was still there, could it be a problem with furmark itself? and even if it is my hardware doesn't this mean it'll pretty much never appear? sorry I'm really inexperienced in this as this is my first proper build and I'm really worried. the artifact is also barely noticable and doesn't seem to be picked up by my phone camera due to how subtle it is, just wanted to mention this in case it changes anything.

is it just like a dot? Can you put up a pic of it?

yusuffahmed242

Reputable
Sep 6, 2017
is it just like a dot? Can you put up a pic of it?
It's not, it's more of like a Z I guess? not a very big one. I can't put a pic because it's impossible to get a pic of it cause it disappears pretty fast (before reappearing like a minute later) nor a video because it just doesn't appear in the video (talking about when I try to film it with my phone) for whatever reason.

It's not, it's more of like a Z I guess? not a very big one. I can't put a pic because it's impossible to get a pic of it cause it disappears pretty fast (before reappearing like a minute later) nor a video because it just doesn't appear in the video (talking about when I try to film it with my phone) for whatever reason.
I thought it might be a dead pixel, but that sounds a lot different. Have you tried swapping out cables etc? Try cables in other ports and see if it persists.

yusuffahmed242

Reputable
Sep 6, 2017
I thought it might be a dead pixel, but that sounds a lot different. Have you tried swapping out cables etc? Try cables in other ports and see if it persists.
yeah certainly too big to be a dead pixel. I played games like god of war which put my gpu on 100% usage and same temps as it had during furmark and it ran with no issues whatsoever. I unfortunately don't have other cables with me rn, I have an hdmi one but it hasn't been working for a while but I'm using a display port which worked well in the last pc. Could it be that furmark is just that heavy or just an incompatibility issue with current drivers? It's pretty weird that it only happens in furmark and in nothing else so far. Are artifacts something that escalate? like they start small and get bigger as the state of the gpu worsens or does it stay the same?

yeah certainly too big to be a dead pixel. I played games like god of war which put my gpu on 100% usage and same temps as it had during furmark and it ran with no issues whatsoever. I unfortunately don't have other cables with me rn, I have an hdmi one but it hasn't been working for a while but I'm using a display port which worked well in the last pc. Could it be that furmark is just that heavy or just an incompatibility issue with current drivers? It's pretty weird that it only happens in furmark and in nothing else so far. Are artifacts something that escalate? like they start small and get bigger as the state of the gpu worsens or does it stay the same?

It's really odd. If it's only one app, then it's very possible it's a driver bug. As long as temps are in check, and it's limited to one thing, then I wouldn't worry too much.

Artefacts can get worse if there is an inherent issue with the GPU, or even the monitor. Given it's hard to replicate, it may just resolve itself with the next driver issue. Annoying though, that's for sure.

Let us know if it gets worse, and for the moment see how it goes.

yusuffahmed242

Reputable
Sep 6, 2017
It's really odd. If it's only one app, then it's very possible it's a driver bug. As long as temps are in check, and it's limited to one thing, then I wouldn't worry too much.

Artefacts can get worse if there is an inherent issue with the GPU, or even the monitor. Given it's hard to replicate, it may just resolve itself with the next driver issue. Annoying though, that's for sure.

Let us know if it gets worse, and for the moment see how it goes.
Alright will do. Hoping nothing comes of this and my gpu runs fine, I atleast have gigabyte's warranty so it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

yusuffahmed242

Reputable
Sep 6, 2017
Alright will do. Hoping nothing comes of this and my gpu runs fine, I atleast have gigabyte's warranty so it wouldn't be the end of the world.
Yeah, if you feel it's not worth the hassle, just RMA it to be sure.
yeah leaving that as a worst case scenario because I'm in egypt and RMA'ing would probably take a while so I'm trying to avoid that.

yusuffahmed242

Reputable
Sep 6, 2017
I hear ya! Let us know how it goes.
alright so, so far after playing a bunch more games + running yet another benchmark (ungine valley instead of heaven) I think it might just be a furmark thing at this point. I noticed that the artifacting in furmark happens from the start, not after 5-10 minutes like it's supposed to. It appears even when the gpu temps haven't even gone up (when it's in the 50's-60's) which I think all points to it being either some kind of compatibility issue or driver issue at this point.

alright so, so far after playing a bunch more games + running yet another benchmark (ungine valley instead of heaven) I think it might just be a furmark thing at this point. I noticed that the artifacting in furmark happens from the start, not after 5-10 minutes like it's supposed to. It appears even when the gpu temps haven't even gone up (when it's in the 50's-60's) which I think all points to it being either some kind of compatibility issue or driver issue at this point.

Yeah, hopefully the next driver might be better for you. It's no harm trying older ones even back a few months.

I've had different driver bugs on my 1660ti mobile twice in the last year. The next clean install of latest driver fixed both. Hopefully its the same for you.

yusuffahmed242

Reputable
Sep 6, 2017
Yeah, hopefully the next driver might be better for you. It's no harm trying older ones even back a few months.

I've had different driver bugs on my 1660ti mobile twice in the last year. The next clean install of latest driver fixed both. Hopefully its the same for you.
Is there a difference between a clean install an just normally installing the new drivers? Like should I download ddu for whenever new drivers come out or does it not matter?

Is there a difference between a clean install an just normally installing the new drivers? Like should I download ddu for whenever new drivers come out or does it not matter?

Some would say it doesn't make a difference. The driver install overwrites the old files. With that said, and for completeness and to ensure any bugs do get fixed, a clean install is advised. It only adds a few minutes to the process.

Uninstall with DDU (in safe mode), log back in and check the custom install option, then the clean install option will be there. It resets any settings you may have had in NVCP, but that's the idea. A full reset to rule out the GPU driver being the issue.

yusuffahmed242

Reputable
Sep 6, 2017
Some would say it doesn't make a difference. The driver install overwrites the old files. With that said, and for completeness and to ensure any bugs do get fixed, a clean install is advised. It only adds a few minutes to the process.

Uninstall with DDU (in safe mode), log back in and check the custom install option, then the clean install option will be there. It resets any settings you may have had in NVCP, but that's the idea. A full reset to rule out the GPU driver being the issue.
okay so I've tried another version of furmark (the asus rog one) and it also worked perfectly fine, I tried it with both openGL and vulkan, and with an artifact scanner (that was one of the options) and without and haven't seen a single artifact nor has the scanner picked up on any. I've also found a working HDMI cable and tried that one and the artifact was still there so we can rule out the cable being the issue. I think I can say with pretty much full certainty say it's just some sort of incompatibility with the normal furmark or just a bug I guess. boy am I relieved it's not a hardware issue.

okay so I've tried another version of furmark (the asus rog one) and it also worked perfectly fine, I tried it with both openGL and vulkan, and with an artifact scanner (that was one of the options) and without and haven't seen a single artifact nor has the scanner picked up on any. I've also found a working HDMI cable and tried that one and the artifact was still there so we can rule out the cable being the issue. I think I can say with pretty much full certainty say it's just some sort of incompatibility with the normal furmark or just a bug I guess. boy am I relieved it's not a hardware issue.

Well, if it's mostly manageable, and not interfering, then that's a go for now.

Should any further issues arise, let us know.

Happy gaming :)