[SOLVED] Should I buy a used i7 4790K?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HeartOfAdel

Commendable
Apr 7, 2021
Hi to everyone!
I decided to upgrade to i7 4790K, better late than never, right?
The CPU had been used since the end of 2014 till the end of 2020 (6 years) and had been cooled by a 300W air cooler. The temperatures almost never exceeded 60 degrees in games. During the last year the i7 4790K was overclocked to 4.7 GHz at 1.3V and ran around 65 degrees in games.
The main question is would this CPU, in your opinion, last till 2025 if I ran it at stock turbo speeds (H97 motherboard, can't overclock anyway) and cooled it with Deepcool Gammaxx L120 V2? Is this AIO good enough for i7 4790K?

Solution
The 4790k is still a relevant gaming chip, especially if you're at 1440p, I think that's the ideal resolution for one of those chips.

As for the chip itself, as others have said, CPUs rarely break under normal use. You'll be fine, enjoy the upgrade.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Many of them were used in gaming cafes I used to supply and those PCs all worked fine, yes. I've sold many systems either built from used parts or from old office machines upgraded with used parts sourced from eBay, and never had any complaints or returns.

A friend of mine is the category manager for used CPUs, graphics cards, SSDs and memory modules etc. for CEX and he absolutely loves CPUs, since they are almost never faulty and can normally be marked as "A" grade after a light cleaning.

it appears you don't have much experience dealing with used hardware or dealing with processing units, restrictions, voltage, temperature, and degradation.

I do know used hardware rather well as it happens. Processing units (AKA CPUs) are my specialty. Voltage, very familiar with it. Temperature, one of the best physical properties an object can have.

Degradation, I don't know her. If you're talking about literal atoms of Silicon falling off the traces, impacting the operation of the CPU, then you're off your head.

This I can believe. There's a lot of idiots out there and some of them do sell on eBay without testing, or worse yet, knowingly sell broken parts as working.
However this is very rare, and the eBay refund policy is amazing. They just straight up refund you no questions asked.
I have been burned twice on ebay by sellers--one for well over $100 and even after they said they would send repair parts and never did. Ebay even closed the case. Now I'm on the cc route and then filing in small claims court next. (lying mother#$@%@ shouldn't be able to continue business and I hope the court costs really hit them hard).