Should I buy an AWD just for advanced features

noyaus

Honorable
Jul 15, 2016
Hi Guys
I know this sound like a really stupid question but like would there be issues if I buy an AWD car (I was looking for the Honda CRV VTI-LX AWD or the Mazda CX5 Azami AWD) just for the advanced features of the car? What are some of the differences between AWD and FWD. I'm not much of an outback/4WD person

D

Deleted member 14196

Awd is all i buy and drive. With Ford’s intelligent AWD You get way better acceleration from AWD in ALL conditions

In the wet and slippery snowy weather it is a game changer

You trade slight mileage number fir greater safety and usefulness. To me it’s well worth it

I had a 2002 CRV for 14 years and loved it

In snow, rain or dirt a 4wd will have better traction than a FWD. A jump start with a AWD is usually faster. Even on smooth asphalt it can handle curves better.

AWD: if the differential or anything with the AWD is getting defective or is leaking, it will cost you much.

The FWD uses less gas and is not that heavy. Wheels are cheaper and can be used longer
not that expensive to repair

But the AWD can be sold to a better price in the future

USAFRet

Titan
Just remember:
All Wheel Drive is not magic. You still have to drive rationally.

If you drive through any heavy snow conditions, you'll notice a LOT of the cars in the ditch are AWD/4WD. Drivers thinking they were immune from sliding.

They feel different, especially when pushed harder. I’d say you need to test drive them to feel the difference and if it suits you but make sure you push the car on the test drive. I had a MK3 Focus RS and loved it, only reason I didn’t keep it was I only have space for 1 car and use it to commute. I didn’t want to keep it beyond the warranty. The AWD RS handles very differently to the Mk4 Focus ST although very similar cars in other respects. The RS is different to other AWD, the rears if I recall correctly are geared 3% faster and 70% of the power can be sent to the rear. It also switched seamlessly to FWD in normal driving for better fuel economy. There are days I really miss that AWD system but I didn’t want the maintenance costs.

noyaus

Honorable
Jul 15, 2016
Awd is all i buy and drive. With Ford’s intelligent AWD You get way better acceleration from AWD in ALL conditions

In the wet and slippery snowy weather it is a game changer

You trade slight mileage number fir greater safety and usefulness. To me it’s well worth it

I had a 2002 CRV for 14 years and loved it
Thanks for that. I live in Australia and after COVID-19 calms down I'm looking for either the Subaru Forester or XV or the Mazda CX5 Azami or Honda CRV (I'm still in the deciding phase). Any Ford models you would recommend. I'm looking for a family SUV with top safety gear?

I currently have the Honda CRV VTI-S 2018 which is mid-range contains only park sensors (front+rear) and blindspot monitoring. The only version that has AEB and all advanced safety features is the VTI-LX AWD so I reckon I might look at that and Honda has been reliable over the past few years I've driven Honda. It would be so good if Honda did advanced Honda Sensing on FWD as well

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for that. I live in Australia and after COVID-19 calms down I'm looking for either the Subaru Forester or XV or the Mazda CX5 Azami or Honda CRV (I'm still in the deciding phase). Any Ford models you would recommend. I'm looking for a family SUV with top safety gear?
We have a (recently purchased) '06 Subbie Forester. Great little car.

Reactions: yngwie98