Should i buy an IPS or a TN monitor?

igliKJ

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
Hi , i've been looking around many sites on which one to buy and im still pretty confused , my PC has just an A8 6500 apu and a r7 240 gpu (i know it's a really outdated build), the thing is that im on a limited budget of 200€ and im not sure if i should get an ips 60hz monitor or a 75hz TN , i mainly play league of legends that never goes over 70-80 fps and other stuff on ps4 (which are stuck at 30 or 60 fps) , the thing is that i noticed that the TN are wayyyyy more smooth as monitors but the IPS ones has really nice colors, i do care about how good the colors looks in a monitor too but the thing is : which one is worth for me to get ? I rarely do other stuff except gaming and watching streamings on twitch

Sorry for my bad english in case i did any mistakes!

Solution
From someone who switched from TN to VA (both 1080p), I'd say avoid the TN panels at all costs. They look VERY UGLY compared to VA. Now imagine if compared to an IPS which has even more color accuracy.

I'd say get either VA or IPS panel. VA has gorgeous colors and really close to what an IPS looks like. TN is just a totally different thing where colors always look washed out no matter what settings.

VA is also cheaper than IPS and has speeds of a TN panel while having vivid colors.

tl;dr: Get a VA or IPS. Avoid TN panels at any cost.

SpecsGuy

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
From someone who switched from TN to VA (both 1080p), I'd say avoid the TN panels at all costs. They look VERY UGLY compared to VA. Now imagine if compared to an IPS which has even more color accuracy.

I'd say get either VA or IPS panel. VA has gorgeous colors and really close to what an IPS looks like. TN is just a totally different thing where colors always look washed out no matter what settings.

VA is also cheaper than IPS and has speeds of a TN panel while having vivid colors.

tl;dr: Get a VA or IPS. Avoid TN panels at any cost.

Solution
Oct 11, 2018

This is a late reply to your post but I totally agree. I got the Acer XB1 and it looked totally washed out compared to my XG27VQ Asus Rog Strix monitor. I have a GTX 1080 Ti and even with a freesync monitor, it looked so much better on the VA panel and the IPS is also good but the VA panel seems to have deeper contrast colors...may pick up another freesync XG27VQ instead of getting a gsync rog strix monitor to save money as well as the fact I can't notice any tearing with a freesync 144hz monitor and using 1080 Ti. I ended up returning the acer.