Should I buy i5 or i7

vanguardstream

Reputable
May 3, 2015
I have a youtube channel that i have pretty much just started. I'm gonna use this PC that i will build for gaming, video editing and livestreaming. Video editing isn't gonna be too hardcore. I'm probably gonna use 3-6 layers

DHFF

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
The i5 packs a lot of punch and the only advantage the i7 has over it is Hyper threading. Most programs still don't take full advantage of Hyper threading but IF you will be doing a lot of streaming or rendering video while you record new footage then you could make use of a multi threaded CPU. If you have no plans to Overclock then I would suggest the Xeon 1230 or 1231, They give the same performance as an i7 and are only a few dollars more then an i5. IF you are set on overclocking then an equivalent i7 will cost you about $100 more then the Xeon.

Manish Tewari

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014

For 3-6 level vid edit that too once in a while - you should go for i5 bro.

Eggz

Distinguished
Hands down, get the i7 if you can afford it. The i5 is a good chip, but it doesn't give you any room to grow. If you're just starting your YouTube channel, things are only going to get more complex, and even a 4-core i7 like the 4790k will render high quality videos slowly. You can't really throw too much CPU power at video editing, but the 4790k or Xeon 1231v3 is a great place to start as a point of entry.