[SOLVED] Should I buy my own router modem?

Recently, My ISP asked if I want to buy our router instead of renting it.
It's about 7.75 dollars a month.
At first I thought why not, but afterwards I thought maybe I should buy my own router, and ditch the ISP provided one altogther.
Here's the thing though, I would need a modem as well since it's a modem router ap combo machine.
and also, I have a dedicated AP that is much more powerful than the router, and I have completely turned off the router's wifi capabilities to reduce interference.

So, in that case, since I don't need a banger router/ap for wireless connectivity, and I would need to buy a modem anyway, would it be wiser to just get the modem/router from them?

Solution
that depends, sometime wehen ISP changes speed or protocol used, or it breaks, modem change for rented is free, ask them what they do if you buy it
Recently, My ISP asked if I want to buy our router instead of renting it.
It's about 7.75 dollars a month.
At first I thought why not, but afterwards I thought maybe I should buy my own router, and ditch the ISP provided one altogther.
Here's the thing though, I would need a modem as well since it's a modem router ap combo machine.
and also, I have a dedicated AP that is much more powerful than the router, and I have completely turned off the router's wifi capabilities to reduce interference.

So, in that case, since I don't need a banger router/ap for wireless connectivity, and I would need to buy a modem anyway, would it be wiser to just get the modem/router from them?
If you can buy one for under $100 then you will save money after 13 (or less) months of use so it seems like a good idea if you have the spare cash.

This is a hard to say. In general it will be cheaper in the long run to buy your own equipment. The down side of buying your own equipment is the ISP will always blame your equipment for problems. If they own it then they have to pay to swap it out when they decide to blame it. Now some vendor...att in particular...will not let you swap out their equipment.

Reactions: SamirD
This is a hard to say. In general it will be cheaper in the long run to buy your own equipment. The down side of buying your own equipment is the ISP will always blame your equipment for problems. If they own it then they have to pay to swap it out when they decide to blame it. Now some vendor...att in particular...will not let you swap out their equipment.
Yep, and not to mention they will continue to change their 'qualified list' of equipment forcing you to get a new modem even when yours should be fine. Like at my comcast site they said that they upgraded to 800Mbs speeds for free, but that we have to upgrade our sb6190 modem that is spec'd good for up to 1Gb. :rolleyes: Always a game...

TRENDING THREADS