[SOLVED] Should I buy PS5 with a normal desktop/laptop or build a powerful gaming PC

ram subu

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2013
Should I buy PS5 with a normal desktop/laptop or build a powerful gaming PC, if the requirement is just to do basic tasks like excel, word, browsing, copying movies and files etc.. along with playing AAA games (not often).

I initially had a plan of building a gaming pc with gaming monitor which cost around 1.85 Lakhs INR (2400$). But by Iooking at the price of a PS5 which is 50k INR (660$), I am confused now whether to go for PS5 and buy additional laptop worth 660$ to meet my needs.

I don't have any specific game as such but i wanted to play only high graphic games (AAA games). I am ok with popular games on both pc and PS5.

Kindly guide me to choose the right one.

Last edited:
Solution
If you are an occasional gamer, Console + Laptop would be the most convenient route. Should serve both of your purposes on a budget. But be aware, you will always be limited to basic gaming and office tasks with such a choice. Although modern consoles are no less than a budget gaming PC, it can never match a good quality gaming PC in terms of gaming. But if basic gaming is all you are looking for, there is no point in wasting money. Not to mention, to build a good quality gaming PC right now is a far cry due to GPU shortage.
If you are an occasional gamer, Console + Laptop would be the most convenient route. Should serve both of your purposes on a budget. But be aware, you will always be limited to basic gaming and office tasks with such a choice. Although modern consoles are no less than a budget gaming PC, it can never match a good quality gaming PC in terms of gaming. But if basic gaming is all you are looking for, there is no point in wasting money. Not to mention, to build a good quality gaming PC right now is a far cry due to GPU shortage.

Solution
I have to lean hard on the laptop option.

It's the only reliable way to get a decent gpu at a decent enough price.

Some half decent deals on 5600xt laptops, well worth the extra few bucks over the 1650/super laptops, and most of the time more affordable as they are paired with AMD cpu's as well. From Dell anyway.

Reactions: ram subu
Personally I have a gaming rig, but sold the 1660 super I had in it for about 500 on eBay. I bought a used gtx 970 which for what I play now on pc is fine, some strategy games, world of warships etc it’s fine. I have an Xbox series s and am pretty happy with that. So depending what you play, ps5 wouldn’t be bad. Check out the Xbox series s though. Graphics aren’t quite to the level of ps5, but at 1080 it’s good, and with game pass ultimate they have a LOT of games on there.

I get it. For me I’m actually a pc guy, used to game on pc a lot. I’m also a computer tech. So it’s nice to get home and if I feel like playing a game, to just fire up a console and things work instead of having to troubleshoot etc. That said I like having a good pc in case I do want to play on pc.

The other consideration is the price of graphics cards now. When I sold my 1660 super, it cost 175 to get a gtx 970 from 2014. For 300 I could have updated graphics. So it’s a decent option. About the only way I’d recommend getting into pc gaming is if you buy a prebuilt right now, or you just have money to burn. If gpu prices normalize, then the discussion changes.

Reactions: spentshells

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
Should I buy PS5 with a normal desktop/laptop or build a powerful gaming PC, if the requirement is just to do basic tasks like excel, word, browsing, copying movies and files etc.. along with playing AAA games (not often).

I initially had a plan of building a gaming pc with gaming monitor which cost around 1.85 Lakhs INR (2400$). But by Iooking at the price of a PS5 which is 50k INR (660$), I am confused now whether to go for PS5 and buy additional laptop worth 660$ to meet my needs.

I don't have any specific game as such but i wanted to play only high graphic games (AAA games). I am ok with popular games on both pc and PS5.

Kindly guide me to choose the right one.
ps5 couldnt even come close to what you could build. Even for the price of the ps5 you can build a custom pc that looks better in the games and can do much more then a ps5.

ps5 couldnt even come close to what you could build. Even for the price of the ps5 you can build a custom pc that looks better in the games and can do much more then a ps5.
No way. I’ve got a One X and a pc with a 3080. While the 3080 is better the One X is extremely impressive because of how well it does especially at 4K considering the price difference. No way could you build a pc and game at 4K in modern AAA games for the price of a One X.

Edit: I meant Series X

Last edited:
Thanks all for your comments and now I decided to go with PS5 and currently its out of stock in India. Any idea on when the next sale date is in India ?
Probably next month. Keep your eyes open...