Question Should I buy Ryzen 3000 series this summer?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fusion1005

Commendable
Jan 15, 2020
I want to get a Ryzen 5 3600 for my build in June, but Ryzen 4000 might come out late summer. Should I wait or buy now? Also, AMD will stop supporting AM4 after this year, so should I wait till 2021 to get my PC?

Afro_ninja199

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Very true. Unless you have a reliable way to make sure parts are working on arrival, buying parts long ahead of time is a terrible idea, since you lose return protection by the time you actually build it, and may find something wrong.

plus if your buying now and waiting 4 - 6 months it might cost more plus newer stuff might be out, plus who the hell can buy parts and not use them right away lol id go crazy lol

Reactions: extreme_noob

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
In two to three years the GPU will probably be equally worsened. A 1070 Ti nowadays is about the same performance as a 1660 Ti, and most people don't have issues with pairing a 1660 Ti with a Ryzen 5 or even Ryzen 3 2nd or 1st gen.
Anyways the difference between 3700X and 3600 would probably make the 3700X obsolete in only a year or two more than the 3600. The IPC is the same, which is what most games depend on. IPC is what improves over generations.

I can already see you might know more about this stuff than i do. That said, i still think the 3700x is the better choice here. I don't think cpus get old as fast as gpus do, excluding my former amazing gpu - the GTX 970. Lasted for 5 years. I now own a GTX 1070 ti :)

Back to the topic, getting a better cpu now will help with multi tasking while gaming and might give him more time before he needs to replace it.

I know the ryzen 5 3600 has had really good reviews and is doing fantastic right now. I just have a hunch that cpus with anything less than 8 cores are going to be bad for gaming sooner than we think.

I know the ryzen 5 3600 has had really good reviews and is doing fantastic right now. I just have a hunch that cpus with anything less than 8 cores are going to be bad for gaming sooner than we think.
It's quite possible. We've been stuck with intel 4c for a long time, and now with rising core counts, game devs may begin to utilize more. Then again, no one can reliably predict the future.

Reactions: eli150

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
It's quite possible. We've been stuck with intel 4c for a long time, and now with rising core counts, game devs may begin to utilize more. Then again, no one can reliably predict the future.

True. I recently upgraded from an i5 3570. I got the 1070 ti before the upgrade and the i5 was really holding me back. I got a bit carried away with upgrade and bought the 3900x 😅

I think the consoles gave us a hint on how things are going to turn out. I wonder how fast are their cpus going to be. I will be really surprised if they pack a cpu that is as fast as the 3700x.

schmuckley

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 18, 2011
Never wait for computer things that might be. they may not ever appear.

Best bet is to get something that's been out for a few months or more and had the kinks worked out of it.

Tell ya what, I've been a new hardware adopter a couple times, and you're out there flying blind and solo.

It's a feeling of being alone.

Reactions: Afro_ninja199
Never wait for computer things that might be. they may not ever appear.

Best bet is to get something that's been out for a few months or more and had the kinks worked out of it.

Tell ya what, I've been a new hardware adopter a couple times, and you're out there flying blind and solo.

It's a feeling of being alone.
I agree with half of this. DO wait for new hardware, but DON'T buy the new hardware immediately on release, buy the old hardware which would be significantly discounted.

If you wait for the 4000 series to come out and can wait until any kinks are ironed out then it is at LEAST January/February before you can build, the whispers and shouts are September/October will be release time but no-body knows really... in June/July/August the picture may become clearer as the are a few big Tech shows in around this time. Also it depends on what Intel do, if they bring out a hammer AMD will respond.

I am myself waiting for the 4000 series as I have an 2700x which is fantastic but I am not going to spend 300-500€ on a 3000 series for a 10-15 increase in performance. I would wait until June and see where the land lies, no stress... you are the consumer and the consumer decides when and where to buy..... no stress !!