[SOLVED] Should I buy Ryzen 5 3400G if I have intel core i5 6600 ?

kinjalkishor

Reputable
Sep 10, 2017
Should I buy Ryzen 5 3400G I already have intel core i5 6600 . My GPU is Nvidia 1050 Ti, and 16 GB DDR4 Ram. I want to play at 1080p only. With my current setup I am playing almost every game at high settings at 1080p.

kinjalkishor

Reputable
Sep 10, 2017
APUs make no sense if you already have discrete graphics. Wait until you can afford a Ryzen 3600.
APU is very useful when discrete card is damaged and stops working. Till next card is bought APU helps a lot in that period. Sadly Intel Integrated Graphics are too bad while AMD APU's are very good. Though these days good processors like Ryzen 3600 are without APU so it is better to have a secondary cheap discrete card for such scenarios.
I am still using intel core i5 6600, since I can still any latest game on high. I have decided to wait for 8 core ryzen when it will be available at price of Ryzen 3600 some years later. That will be significant upgrade. Till then I have enough computing power.

Last edited:

kinjalkishor

Reputable
Sep 10, 2017
The thing is, the Ryzen 5 3400G's processing power lags FAR behind the Ryzen 5 3600. You wouldn't want a slowish CPU, would you?(Unless you're on a budget)
3600 with extra cheap dicrete gpu seems good choice to me. Though I have decided to wait for 8 core cpu at price point of ryzen 3600 or till time when games seriously need 6 cores to run, but most probably cheaper 8 core cpu will be available till then, and possibly ray tracing gpu at price of 1650 ti. In electronics if one can wait to buy, cheaper and better deals keep coming.

kinjalkishor

Reputable
Sep 10, 2017
Though rarely anywhere near as fast as they used to. Performance per dollar used to more than double every other year, now it takes nearly 10 years to do the same and it'll likely get even slower in the near future.
But it has the nice side effect, that even latest games can be played on very high at 1080p on a cheap geforce 1050TI. Earlier same performance could be got from 6x-8x series cards. And once bought hardware remains useful for many more years. If it was not for GTA V, Mass Effect Andromeda, Witcher 3, Dragon Age Inquisition, Assassins Creed Odyssey, I would not have even upgraded from geforce gtx 560 TI. Intel core i5 skylake 6600 is still sufficient enough for anything I do (though Ryzen 3600 will completely blow it in cpu intensive performance). But I think right time for next upgrade should be based on need or significant performance improvement. 4 core to 8 core sure will be significant. Like I saw a lot of performance gain from Core 2 Duo (used 7 years and it is still running good in someone else window 7 pc now) to Core i5.