Should I buy the Mass Effect Trilogy?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mtrotchie

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Gamefly is having a sale right now, $25 for the trilogy. I've heard a few good things about the series but not much. I enjoy RPGs as well as shooters so it seems pretty cool... any advice?

D

Deleted member 217926

I have used Steam for at least 7 or 8 years and only ever had a problem with one game. The Walking Dead. And that was a game issue not related to Steam. I think Steam is actually pretty sweet. It's nice not having to worry about where I placed the physical copy of a game and being able to uninstall and reinstall games with one click. My only complaint is with my slow AT@T DSL connection, Steam is great. The only way I could see not liking it is if you were still stuck with dial up.

For $25 I would by the trilogy. Overall, it is a great series and pretty fun. It has its flaws, but then again what games don’t have any flaws whatsoever? Probably the best thing about Mass Effect is the storyline, next would be the action. I also like the fact that you can pause the game during the fight to use biotic powers and issue orders to your teammates. I tend to a lot of biotic powers in combat so pausing does come in very handy, but it also causes breaks in action as well.
The main gripe I had with Mass Effect 1 was the amount of time you need to explore planet surfaces in a tank (the Mako). Not only is exploring time consuming, but the Mako doesn’t really handle that well either (there are a couple of in game jokes about that too in ME2 and ME3). Granted it is not necessary to explore every single planet to find every single hidden resource or possible encounter, but that is something I tend to do. There might have been a few minor issues, but it has been a while since I played the game.

The main gripe about Mass Effect 2 was that you lost the ability to customize your armor and weapons. In the first game you can buy armor and weapons and then buy /find upgrades for them. There were either 2 or 3 upgrades for them in the 1st game, but I can’t remember now. The other thing I wasn’t too fond of was your weapons no longer cooled down, instead they used “thermal clips” to cool down the gun so that you can fire again. In effect, it basically meant you had “limited ammo” because once you fire a gun it will never cool down on its own. There’s an in game joke about this in Mass Effect 3. I downloaded a mod that took care of this. As long as you did not use up the thermal clip, the clip will cool down so that you can fire your weapon again. Therefore, you get unlimited ammo again as long as you do not max out the thermal clip.

Mass Effect 2 is a lot more action oriented than the 1st game, but that’s not really a bad thing at all. You get some additional moves which makes combat more flexible. There are also a lot of DLCs for Mass Effect 2. Not all of them were excellent, but in general you get extra missions that can add to the story. Mass Effect 1 had only 2 mission DLCs, while I think the 2nd game had 6.

As for Mass Effect 3, I guess the primary complaint is about the ending. I actually did not have a problem with the ending (but I will further expand on this later). It did leave a lot of questions left unanswered and it didn’t explain certain sequences of events during the final moments of the assault to take back Earth, I was generally okay with it because I was able to more or less guess what probably took place. But a lot of fans were upset about the ending that a free DLC was released to fill in the gaps, but the end itself remained the same. Mass Effect 3 marks the end of the trilogy so… you can guess at the possible fate of your character…

My gripe about Mass Effect 3 was that it was simply too short given the scope of the galactic threat. From the time the invasion actually begins on a galactic scale to the point of its conclusion you would think that it would take some amount of time; like years instead of maybe a few months. Mass Effect 3 either should have had a lot more content to expand on the amount of time (not realistic from a development / publisher point of view) or better yet, have Mass Effect 3 come to a dramatic stopping point (i.e. a cliff hanger), and then conclude the entire series with Mass Effect 4 (even if they keep the same ending in Mass Effect 3). A longer drawn out galactic battle to me would be more satisfying and “realistic” given the type of threat you face in the Mass Effect series. And that would mean a guarantee money stream for Bioware/EA.

Bioware further expands on combat moves in the 3rd game and it also brings back a little bit of customization to weapons and armor. Sufficient enough for weapons, but a bit lacking for armor. Unfortunately, there is no mod that I’ve found which address the thermal clip issue. There are 3 single player DLCs for the game. They are generally fun to play, but each have their own flaws. But none of the DLC has an effect on the game’s ending. I’m okay with that, but there are some people who gripes about that and refuse to buy them.

The one complaint that I have for all three games is that the spacebar seems to be the “all powerful button”, it does everything, it does too much. If Bioware was able to figure out how players can use the spacebar to scratch their ass, I’m pretty sure they would do it.

Of the three games, I like Mass Effect 2 the most. That’s probably due to all the DLCs which make it a pretty long, but fun game. I actually like Mass Effect 3 a little more than the 1st game simply because I didn’t have to bother driving around in a Mako.

Voice acting is pretty good throughout the game for the main characters. And while I have played both male and female Commander Shepard, I prefer playing as “Fem Shep” because while Mark Meer’s voice acting in the trilogy is done extremely well, I found that Jennifer Hale’s performance to be consistently better by a small margin.