Should I buy the new Kaby Lake processor?

original_skittles

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
Hey I'm building my first gaming PC with an Asus H110 motherboard and I want to buy the new i5 7600k processor but when i checked the compatibility on PcPartPicker it said that some Intel H110 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Kaby Lake-S CPUs. I don't exactly know what this means. Could someone please explain it to me?
Thanks

Solution
The H110 chipset is designed to work with the skylake processors. For the motherboard to be compatible with a Kabylake processor the bios must be updated. Some motherboards are already running updated bios's however it really depends where you get it from. If the motherboard isn't already updated than you must flash it's bios. To do this you will need a skylake CPU. However I would not get a H110 motherboard if you want an i5 7600k. I assume you wish to overclock it. If so I would recommend spending the extra money and getting a z270 motherboard as this will definitely not need a bios update and you should be able to overclock a lot better and more stable than on a H110 board.

jimmyjammywho

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
The H110 chipset is designed to work with the skylake processors. For the motherboard to be compatible with a Kabylake processor the bios must be updated. Some motherboards are already running updated bios's however it really depends where you get it from. If the motherboard isn't already updated than you must flash it's bios. To do this you will need a skylake CPU. However I would not get a H110 motherboard if you want an i5 7600k. I assume you wish to overclock it. If so I would recommend spending the extra money and getting a z270 motherboard as this will definitely not need a bios update and you should be able to overclock a lot better and more stable than on a H110 board.

Solution

original_skittles

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017

ok thanks. Should i go for the i5 6600k instead?

jimmyjammywho

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014

Well I'd only go for a 6600k if your overclocking and using a Zxxx Board. Otherwise its money that could be better spent on your graphics card.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

You dont need a k series processor the k just means its unlocked and can be overcloked, but you cant overclock on an H110 motherboard so a k series cpu would be a waste of money. So it would be better to save some money and go for an i5 6600 or 6500 if you plan to get that motherboard.

original_skittles

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017

Which motherboard would you recommend for overclocking the 6600k?

No.

What we are saying is, do not get a "k" processor if you are not getting a "Z" motherboard.

K processors are for overclocking and in order to be overclocked, need a Z motherboard.

If you are not going to overclock, the motherboard you've picked is fine but don't spend the extra money on a k processor, just get the 7600 (non-K).

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Something Z170 chipset for skylake, or something Z270 chipset for kaby lake.