[SOLVED] Should i change my old cpu to i5-9400f

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
I have I7-3770 with RX 5700 XT and it super bottleneck. I wondering if I should change my CPU to I5-9400F

Will i5-9400f bottleneck my GPU RX 5700 XT?

I don't really believe that an I7 3770 is a "super" bottleneck for the RX 5700XT.

I wouldn't go for the I5 9400f since it's really bad value for your money.

The Ryzen 5 3600 would be my pick for the upgrade. You can get better performance by overclocking + it gets 6 more threads compared to the 9400f.... changing to either of those will require a new motherboard and ddr4 RAM.

What PSU do you currently have?

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
I don't really believe that an I7 3770 is a "super" bottleneck for the RX 5700XT.

I wouldn't go for the I5 9400f since it's really bad value for your money.

The Ryzen 5 3600 would be my pick for the upgrade. You can get better performance by overclocking + it gets 6 more threads compared to the 9400f.... changing to either of those will require a new motherboard and ddr4 RAM.

What PSU do you currently have?

Apparently it is bottleneck :(
I can't play some game at full setting on a 1080p monitor.

I have 650w Thermaltake.

Ryzen sound good to me, but its gonna exceed my budget, which I can not afford for now.

Watch a few optimization guides for rdr2, no reason at all to try and play on max settings. Hardware unboxed has a good 2 part video for rdr2. From what I've read about the division 2 is, it's not the best optimized title and most cpus will struggle. You definitely have the gpu power for it though. Shadow is another game you dont necessarily need ultra settings either. High usually has just as much visual fidelity with much smoother gameplay.

I'd still recommend saving more. You dont want to end up with buyers remorse going the 9400f route. And if you grab a cheaper b series mobo, you wouldn't really have an upgrade path. As, imo, you wouldn't want a k series chip in a non z board. Youd be leaving performance on the table.

Either way, you need ram and board. So unless you find killer deals, 270 isn't enough. Save up a bit more.

Reactions: max13

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What's the rest of your specs?

The 3770 should be capable of 60fps if you're playing on high settings.
-SotTR would see a small bump from a cpu upgrade.
-RDR2 would be a step backwards with a 9400F, because it would be thread bound.
-The Division 2 I'm not familiar with, unfortunately.

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Watch a few optimization guides for rdr2, no reason at all to try and play on max settings. Hardware unboxed has a good 2 part video for rdr2. From what I've read about the division 2 is, it's not the best optimized title and most cpus will struggle. You definitely have the gpu power for it though. Shadow is another game you dont necessarily need ultra settings either. High usually has just as much visual fidelity with much smoother gameplay.

I'd still recommend saving more. You dont want to end up with buyers remorse going the 9400f route. And if you grab a cheaper b series mobo, you wouldn't really have an upgrade path. As, imo, you wouldn't want a k series chip in a non z board. Youd be leaving performance on the table.

Either way, you need ram and board. So unless you find killer deals, 270 isn't enough. Save up a bit more.

I monitored my CPU and GPU usage. And the result shows that
My CPU usually run around 80-100 percent, GPU around 60-70 percent. Sometimes its went up to 100% too.
I thought it could handle any game at full setting on a 1080p monitor .

Yeah... you right. I've never thought about the upgrade path.
Thank you so much.

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
What's the rest of your specs?

The 3770 should be capable of 60fps if you're playing on high settings.
-SotTR would see a small bump from a cpu upgrade.
-RDR2 would be a step backwards with a 9400F, because it would be thread bound.
-The Division 2 I'm not familiar with, unfortunately.

MB Asus P8Z77-V LX.
RAM 16 GB (4*4) Kingston HyperX.
650w Thermaltake .
HDD 1TB WD blue.
SSD 120 GB.

My PC quite old now. I upgraded it time to time when I can.