Question Should i change my thermal pads on GPU ?

Aug 10, 2021
Ever since i last time maintained my gpu cleaning and changing thermal paste and stuff, i reused the same pads that were on my MSI GTX 760 Hawk since its an older card its it good for me to change them ? how much they cost and where can i get them ? The problem about the card it gets really hot on touch even if i open my side panel of the case and i turned my noctua d15 chromax black on side to make room for it but it helped me get cooler cpu but gpu is still hot .... chipset seems to get hot too and my motherboard is tuf z270 mark 1 but i get like 50 C temp on pch ... gpu gets all hot the backplate and all so what should i do to make it run cooler ... i did crank the fans on afterburner on 100% and i didnt OC but its factory OC a little i guess... the worst it gets when i turn on need for speed heat it goes really hot and the whole room gets hot cuz of it ... i have some old thermaltake case with a mesh on front but no fans, i do have one fan at the top of the case that gets the heat out and i did have one intake 200 mm fan but i cant fit it cuz of noctua d15 so i took my sidepanel off to get airflow but its still too hot ... any pointers ?

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
How hot is too hot? What temperature does Afterburner report?

The backplate getting hot won't be solved by new thermal pads - they are clearly working by transferring heat into the backplate. Nor would new thermal pads or paste prevent the room heating-up. The heat produced by the card needs to go somewhere. You have the first law of thermodynamics to blame for that.

Seems more like you need more airflow in the case if the pch is too hot. Not that 50C is too hot anyway.

Reactions: RodroX
Aug 10, 2021
well since the card was idling at 32 C two years ago and didnt run hot at backplate just at the main gpu processor big heat pipe, now it runs 45 C idle i guess something has changed... could it be the thermal paste that i applied ... it was some cooler master thermal gel or something ... or thermal pads that are old and reused, im not sure .... i told you guys about the room to describe you as superb as i can so you can get a better picture.... when i play need for speed heat it goes up to 82-85 C and it actually dropped me from a game telling something about driver disconnected or something and i assume it was cuz of heat.... earlier it was like 62-67 C under load, so something has changed ..... i have some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, should i try that on the GPU itself and see if it makes changes ?

Aug 10, 2021
Also i did change my configuration a lot last year .... My previous build was :

ASUS B75m-plus with i3 - 3250 intel cpu and DDR 3 - 1600 Mhz kingstone 8 GB ram

Now my setup is :

Asus TUF Z270 mark 1 with i7 6700K and Gskill DDR 4 - 3200 Mhz working at 2133 Mhz 16 GB ram

Did i bottleneck my GPU and got higher temps ?

Afro_ninja199

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
well since the card was idling at 32 C two years ago and didnt run hot at backplate just at the main gpu processor big heat pipe, now it runs 45 C idle i guess something has changed... could it be the thermal paste that i applied ... it was some cooler master thermal gel or something ... or thermal pads that are old and reused, im not sure .... i told you guys about the room to describe you as superb as i can so you can get a better picture.... when i play need for speed heat it goes up to 82-85 C and it actually dropped me from a game telling something about driver disconnected or something and i assume it was cuz of heat.... earlier it was like 62-67 C under load, so something has changed ..... i have some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, should i try that on the GPU itself and see if it makes changes ?

have your happy to open ya card up and do it, go for it, just beware of what your doing

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
Did i bottleneck my GPU and got higher temps ?
Seems plausible that you are driving the GPU a bit harder than before.

Since you've done it before, you might as well try replacing the thermal paste. The thermal pads though are a bit trickier though, since ideally you'd want to match the thickness and firmness to make sure they will actually work properly. So just try the paste replacement first.

Aug 10, 2021
I have done the thermal paste change and boy oh boy what a change, not only that my idle temps were 37 C but i lunched need for speed heat and i have got an apsolute maximum of 50 C and mostly under 50 C which is amazing ! old pads that i am reusing are not bad but are greasy so i tought i might change them cuz of Vram memory and stuff but seems like this works just fine for now... thanks a lot ! Have a nice day :)

Reactions: deesider and RodroX