Should I change PSU?

Feb 12, 2015
I have a 850W 80+gold PSU with a build that requires at full load 716W according to pcpartpicker.com. Is my PSU good enough? For more info on parts, please check the link to pcpartpicker in my signature.

Solution

It will run and likely survive. Once it starts failing you will probably just run into stability issues, but its not like a POS no name so you probably don't need to worry about a bad PSU failure (like it catching fire). I'm pretty sure this will last you quite a while.

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
I just added your build to this calculator http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
The results is minium 684W and Recommended 732W (with 100TDP that should never happen and 20% capacitor aging if you plan to use that PSU for more than a year, or if its already used) with your specs and lots of fan (3x 120mm, 1 140mm and 3 250mm/no 200mm option/) so your current 850W psu is fine. Even with big overclocking it should be enough

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
That Coolermaster Silent Pro is a Tier 3 PSU So while not the greatest it should fit the bill. That said if you haven't bought it yet there are some far better quality PSU's out there for the same price or less. You don't need to buy that fan controller if you do get the coolermaster, it comes with one.

PSU Tier List: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

If you're going 850 and want a gold rated PSU this one is a Tier one and quite a bit cheaper (EVGA 850G2):

http://www.amazon.ca/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Certified-ATX12V-220-G2-0850-XR/dp/B00IKDETOC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1427288329&sr=1-1&keywords=evga+850G2

As for wattage a good 850 is more than enough for what you have running there

Feb 12, 2015

900 bronze, vs 850 gold. Not sure it would make a difference?

Edit : by the way, for every one wondering, my build is completed already. All the parts listed in pcpartpicker are bought and installed, I'm just wondering if the PSU will survive the long run ( I know it's surviving right now )

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
For HD 7990 its around 500W in full stress, CPU Wattage can go to around 140W when overclocked thats 640W already, each fan will take max ~6W (pretty sure they wont take more than 0.5A) so its now 682W ( i lost count how many fans you have in your case) leaving 168W (12A) for dvd combo drive, one SSD one HDD and some USB stuff.

So your PSU wont be grinding at full load. It will still have some free wattage before hitting its max power and if you didnt get a faulty part (that can accidentally happen with any brand of PSU) your PSU will have a good life (especially if its new).

Feb 12, 2015
yes I bought it new over a year ago.

Changed my GPU, CPU, RAM and board a month ago. I had a p8h77-m/csm with 3570k, Radeon HD6970 and Kingston Hyper-X Fury 16GB 1600MHz and the PSU worked fine, but with my new parts I'm wondering if it will survive the long run and most importantly : If it does not survive the long run, will it damage any of my component or can I keep it until I sucked all the life from it and then change???

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

It will run and likely survive. Once it starts failing you will probably just run into stability issues, but its not like a POS no name so you probably don't need to worry about a bad PSU failure (like it catching fire). I'm pretty sure this will last you quite a while.

Solution