Should I create an image back up on empty drive or a regular HDD with other data ok?

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015
I want to create a disk image with windows 10 and back it up on one of my disks.

Does the disk need to be empty, or on it's own partition or can I simply put the image file in a folder?

Additionally, for the System Repair Disc, should it be on a separate disk, like USB stick or DVD or can I also simply put it in a folder on my backup disk?

Solution
A disk image is simply a large file so does not require an empty HDD, nor does it require it's own partition.

You need to use a blank CD to create the System Repair Disc so you can boot from it -- so obviously you can't put it on an HDD. There is no option to use a pen drive (what you call a USB stick).
A disk image is simply a large file so does not require an empty HDD, nor does it require it's own partition.

You need to use a blank CD to create the System Repair Disc so you can boot from it -- so obviously you can't put it on an HDD. There is no option to use a pen drive (what you call a USB stick).

Solution

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015

Ok, thanks so if the DVD fails, I loose my backup?

I don't trust DVD's ....!

If system disc fails (which it shouldn't if you use quality discs like Verbatim, mine never have, none of them) then you won't lose your backup image but you will lose the ability to access it for recovery (because that's what the system disc is used for amongst other things). If you're worried about it, just create two system discs, but I can honestly say that none of my Verbatim discs (CD and DVD) have ever let me down when I needed them.

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015

Ok, sounds good, didn't know verbatim was good...!

Would making a DVD, then copying the DVD file on HDD work? Then if DVD fails , can create new DVD?

"Would making a DVD, then copying the DVD file on HDD work? Then if DVD fails , can create new DVD?"

NO, you can't do that --- there is boot code on the system disc which you can't copy like copying files :/
If you want a backup of a system disc, you make two of them like I already said.
Why is that so difficult for you to understand?

I have other posters that need help now, so good luck!