Should I disable disk indexing?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

trale

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
For my previous systems, I have always disabled disk indexing on all drives. It significantly improved overall performance and stopped a lot of unnecessary disk thrashing.

I'm wondering if I should continue this trend on my new core-i7 build, which is light years better than my 5 yr old system hardware wise.

I don't do a whole lot of searching around my drives, and I'm used to manually browse through my folders to look for files. But, I'm wondering if I should leave Indexing on in my system this time around. It will make my searches go faster I suppose, but is this worth the overhead performance hit? Does Windows 7 handle indexing "smarter" than previous OS's?

What's your opinion on this service?

Hi

I found this post as it relates to a problem I'm having:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3110804/hdd-till-spin.html#18227265

I would like the HDD to stay off till I need it as the continues humming noise is just annoying as im use to the quiet now I have an SSD in my monster pc for the OS.

The HDD has been told to turn off after 5 minutes put it randomly spins up when i'm not using it as I only have games on this HDD.

Will disabling indexing stop the random spinning up of the HDD?

Sho Mo

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
I just checked my system and found that indexing was on. The system, Windows 7x64 with I5 and 12 GB RAM was already very fast, so I didn't even think about the indexing. However, it seems to be totally useless. I don't understand how it could help with finding a file or folder. I normally use Ztree, but even with Windows Explorer, one just looks for the file or folder and finds it. I simply do not understand the fuss. Unless you don't organize your computer at all.