Should I disable my on board graphics before installing a new gpu?

necrogaming

Commendable
Jul 3, 2016
I've searched the internet and it says that I can do without disabling my onboard graphics. Then there's forums saying that one should. Can someone help clear this one up for me? I want to know the safest way to install my new gpu

Solution
Unless it's a problem, don't.

It's hard to set it back if there is a problem and suddenly you can't see anything at all because you disabled the integrated.

When a GPU is plugged in, it should get disabled automatically, and theres an option to leave it enabled. (But leaving it on means the CPU will still have to process it so that can slow the CPU down)
Unless it's a problem, don't.

It's hard to set it back if there is a problem and suddenly you can't see anything at all because you disabled the integrated.

When a GPU is plugged in, it should get disabled automatically, and theres an option to leave it enabled. (But leaving it on means the CPU will still have to process it so that can slow the CPU down)

Solution

sapito272

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
It wouldn't hurt to leave it enabled.

When you install the new video card, make sure you plug the monitor into the video card, boot OS, then install video drivers.

It helps to leave the onboard video enabled so that if you have any issues with your videocard, you can still troubleshoot with the onboard VGA. If you disabled the onboard video and your GPU craps out, you'll have to reset the BIOS before you can get anything to display again.

necrogaming

Commendable
Jul 3, 2016
Hi. I just installed it but my monitor isn't being picked up by video card. I don't even know if it's installed properly. I made my first small mistake by plugging my monitor to the motherboard. It worked fine but i noticed my gou wasn't installed. I tried to put it on the video card but screen won't display/pick it up. Help please

The first thing I do is create a restore point in Acessories/System Tools/System Restore. Then I remove the old graphics drivers from remove programs.
Then in BIOS disable onboard GPU. Install new GPU and boot into Safe Mode to load the new drivers. Removing the old drivers can save a lot of trouble. The computer should diplay the BIOS screen and safe Mode with either GPU, and no drivers installed. The restore point wil lrestore your old drivers if needed.