[SOLVED] Should I disable XMP or clear CMOS before installing new memory?

tsdobbi

Reputable
Oct 29, 2016
This is my mobo: https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/MAXIMUS_IV_GENEZ/

I currently have 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @1866mhz installed with the XMP profile enabled.

I am going to install 32GB (4 sticks) of Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 @1600mhz ( I understand its a lower clock speed, but I needed more memory and wanted to stick with corsair and that speed was what was available at a reasonable price for older ram).

I know I had to enable XMP when I first built the system (I think it ran @1333mhz by default). I am assuming disabling XMP and or clearing CMOS would be recommended. I wont really be losing any settings as I havent overclocked the machine or anything.

Solution
I would suggest disabling XMP before installing new memory. But in my experience, when you change the RAM modules, you are asked to enter BIOS first time you boot to reconfigure RAM settings.

But just beacause that's what I normally experience, I can't say for sure that's what always happen. So disable XMP, swap RAM, reboot, enter BIOS and re-enable XMP. I beleive that would decrease the potential for errors
I would suggest disabling XMP before installing new memory. But in my experience, when you change the RAM modules, you are asked to enter BIOS first time you boot to reconfigure RAM settings.

But just beacause that's what I normally experience, I can't say for sure that's what always happen. So disable XMP, swap RAM, reboot, enter BIOS and re-enable XMP. I beleive that would decrease the potential for errors

Solution