Question Should I do a thermal repaste for these temps?

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
I7 12700F here, running on a asus prime b660 plus and cooled down by a deepcool castle 360 RGB V2 with the pre-applied thermal paste. Paired with 64 GB of ram and a 3080Ti if that's useful (I'll change my signature too....soon)

I'm running cinebench R23 on it and the temperatures worry me, in the multi-core bench (10 minutes) after 6 minutes the temperature for the P cores stays a constant 89-90 with peaks being 91 celsius, before that too, they're always around the 85-89 about as soon as the bench starts, for the E cores, around 74 with a peak of 75.

I'm pretty sure that comes into the throttling category but i want to confirm here first. Also, if a thermal repaste will help, currently I'm using the one that comes pre-applied with the aio, should I buy a new one? If so, which one of these should I pick?

1. Arctic MX-4
  2. Cooler master mastergel pro
  3. Thermal grizzly kryonaut (this is just a bit on the more expensive side for me but i can make the jump if it's better than the rest here)
  4. Deepcool G40
  5. Deepcool Z9 (same story as the kryonaut).

Lutfij

Titan
I7 12700F here, running on a asus prime b660 plus and cooled down by a deepcool castle 360 RGB V2 with the pre-applied thermal paste. Paired with 64 GB of ram and a 3080Ti if that's useful (I'll change my signature too....soon)
Please be informed that signature space specs can and will change over time, so if you leave out system's specs out in a thread's body, the thread and it's possible solutions(with regards to troubleshooting, akin to this thread) will become moot. It's why we ask users to include their full system's specs in the body of the thread.

Of the thermalpastes listed above I'd get the Thermal Grizzly or Arctic ones. The others are just mediocre pastes. Do note, the thermal pastes I've chosen have a break-in time, meaning they need to be heated up after application, then the temps start to shine(lower a little/perform better).

Now, if I were to forgo the thermal paste suggestion, I'd look into how your airflow is setup in your case as well as your ambient room air temps. If your case is badly designed, it doesn't matter what you sue to cool that processor, you'll always end up with bad temps. Could you please state the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
If your case is badly designed, it doesn't matter what you sue to cool that processor, you'll always end up with bad temps
I'm pretty sure that's not the case, the chassis is a deepcool CL500 4F (mesh in the front) and the radiator is front mounted.

As for the specs, here
I7 12700F
Asus prime B660 plus
4 X 16 GB gskill tridentz RGB 3600MHz
Samsung pm981a
Inno3d RTX 3080Ti X3 OC
NZXT C850
Deepcool cl500 4F
Windows 11

Ambient temperature here can be nasty, usually around 32-ish (around 34 right now)

Reactions: Lutfij

Lutfij

Titan
I'm pretty sure that's not the case, the chassis is a deepcool CL500 4F (mesh in the front) and the radiator is front mounted.
I didn't know that, hence the question of what you're working with.

How are the fans oriented in your chassis?

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Now I'm having second thoughts because with lower ambient temperature (i.e. air conditioning on) the cpu barely rises to 81, and usually stays around 78, now i don't think it would be very advantageous to do a repaste....

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Cpu isn't designed to throttle until 99.5C, except if you went into bios and lowered that value without telling us.
2)Running benchmarks on auto voltage will always yield subpar results.
3)Higher room ambient = higher load thermals. Liquid can't beat physics. This is likely the elephant in the room going by your last post(#10).
4)There's also the lopsided contact pressure caused by the motherboard socket retention mechanism, but that mainly affects i9.

New paste isn't going to get around all that.

dcvikes

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I always liked Arctic silver 5. Arctic silver mx4 is good also imo.

As do I. I build about 6-10 PC's a month currently. For stock builds where the units have a stock fan I use the included stuff same for middle-tier builds and light OC builds where the fan (like Noctua or Coolermaster, DeepCool, Dark Rock etc) usually will have included paste - I use it. For truly high-end stuff (rigs over 2-3k) where a good OC is applied I use MX4 or Arctic Silver 5.

If the systems are prebuilt I’ll roll with what’s there. Many times I’ll just wipe off the paste and put my own on if I’m assembling a system, though I don’t do as many anymore. But I remember once seeing an fx cpu that actually cooked itself under a stock cooler. Don’t ask me how but I remember troubleshooting the system, it kept blue screening and acting up, and only stopped when swapping the cpu. After changing that we installed a hyper 212 and the only other issue we had was the fan on the 212 failing and having to swap that out.

The throttle point for Intel is around 100c.
It seems that you do not reach that with a stress test.
You could monitor with hwmonitor or such and look at the max cpu temperature.
Even an occasional touch of 100c. in red is not the end of the world.

I think you are ok.
Under normal usage for gaming you will not stress your cpu as much as an all core workload would.

In the event that you might want to repaste in the future, i would buy some replacement paste along with some high purity alcohol for cleaning. Everybody has their favorite, but I doubt it would make a significant difference to you.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
12700F
deepcool castle 360 RGB V
Cpu temps will change with liquid cooling as the coolant becomes acclimated to the load. It's not an instant change like with aircooling. Can generally take a half an hour to equalize.

The 12700/F can hit over 210w if the motherboard/bios is set to maintain PL2 turbo limits instead of dropping to PL1 limits after Tau. That's going to run hot, even on a 360mm AIO.

Tjunctiin is 100°C for that cpu, so I'd not expect thermal throttling at 90°C.

I've always disliked AS5. It became popular only because you got a big amount for a low price, usually less than half of what other pastes cost, way back when paste was expensive and scarce. Doesn't take that long to dry out and creates more issues than it solves. That and it's realistically pretty mediocre performance. There's now much better for minimal price differences.

MX4 has been the goto paste for gpus, although TGK is quickly changing that.