Should I exchange my two Xeons?

FractalXX

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Welcome.

Right now, I have an HP XW6600 Workstation.
Specs:

CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.0GHz (stock)
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 950 2GB
RAM: 16Gb DDR2-667 (ECC)
SSD + 2 HDDs

One of my friends asked me if I would exchange mine with his, as he needs a workstation quickly and want to put two GPUs in it. (rendering stuff)
His specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600
MB: Gigabyte H61M-S1
GPU is irrelevant since we won't exchange those, so I'd keep the 950.
RAM: 16Gb DDR3-1600
SSD + 1 HDD

Nowadays I game a lot (not exactly with the newest AAA titles and I don't really care about the graphics, so I wouldn't play them at ultra settings, I always just adjust the graphics to make sure it runs smoothly, if I can go ultra, I do, if I can't, then I don't really mind)
On the other hand I like to have a stable FPS (no need for over 60, for me) on those "fine-tuned" settings.

I use it for a little work, but not for modeling, rendering, anything like that. I'm a developer.

I don't really want to spend money on PCs in the near-future (I don't even want now, but that would be just an exchange, no fees)

Would it worth the change? Also, how big of an improvement should I expect from the i7 in games (over my Xeons)?
I'm asking because I haven't really kept up with today's hardware (and by today I mean the last 10 years)

Thanks in advance.

FractalXX

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

Thanks for the info. The power supply in the i7 rig is a Chieftec iArena 450W. My Delta 750W PSU would stay in the HP.
I think the Chieftec PSU would be enough with the 950 and i7, wouldn't it?

Chieftec is a bottom tier "parts-killer" PSU. The kind that not only cant support what it claims, but has nothing in the way or protections so when it dies it takes out usually GPU and MoBo with it.

I would not use even your 950 with that PSU, replace it immediately!

FractalXX

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

I'll take your advice if the exchange happens at all. Thanks.
Also, the i7 would be a significant improve over my CPU(s), wouldn't it?