Question Should I expand to 32GB? bottlenecks etc.

cynicoren

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Hello,

This is my system setup -
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING
MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
DDR4 V-Color 16G (2x8G) 3000Mhz RED HEATSINK

I mostly game - anything, from FPS, racing,RPG, etc.
I think of expanding to 32gb as future proofing, and since I feel loading times during games are long.

I read that it will be beneficial, but there may be bottlenecks that my reduce the point of this upgrade.

Do you think there will be any BN?

BTW, my options are (please advise too):

G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL16​

Kingston FURY BEAST 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16​

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16​

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB DDR4 3600MHz CL18​

Thank you

You can check fairly easily. Open resource manager and watch the memory tab and see your usage. If you are not seeing hard faults you likely have plenty of memory and more will make no difference.

Slow load times is mostly going to be related to disk speed. If you are not running SSD that would be better thing to spend your money on.

Reactions: punkncat

cynicoren

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Using this browser only (Firefox, 155 tabs (don't ask...) but only 5-6 running real time):
Used physical memory is about 80%
Commit charge (I have no idea what that is) about 70%
Hard fault/sec mostly 0-5% but spikes to 10-20% sometimes.

Unless you're running out of physical RAM constantly to the point where the computer is hitting the page file all the time, you don't need more RAM. If you're concerned about performance, once you've comfortably exceeded the capacity requirement, the next thing to look at is speed and latency. But even that has a point of diminishing returns and you usually won't see any practical difference beyond what the CPU is rated for.

RAM also doesn't really affect loading times. It's primarily storage performance first (which any SSD will be fine here) and then how well the CPU performs because the app still needs to initialize itself to be usable.

cynicoren

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Running Victor Vran + browser drives Hard fault/sec spikes hard to 100 when uploading the game, then about once in a minute (while gaming) spikes are 10-30% during the game, and when I add Steam browsing spikes are up to 100%.
Physical memory and Commit charge remain stable around mentioned numbers.
What about future-proofing, as new games min' recommendations are 16GB?

Running Victor Vran + browser drives Hard fault/sec spikes hard to 100 when uploading the game, then about once in a minute (while gaming) spikes are 10-30% during the game, and when I add Steam browsing spikes are up to 100%.
But does this affect performance on where you feel it matters? Steam spiking up in hard faults may not be as bad if you only interact with it for a short period of time when launching a game or whatnot.

What about future-proofing, as new games min' recommendations are 16GB?
That really depends on what else you're doing with the computer. You can probably be fine for several more years even if games start requiring 16GB if all you do is only keep say, Steam (or whatever) and the game up. But if you need to have a browser with a dozen tabs open, chatting on Discord, among other things, then you'll start creeping into needing more RAM.

But again, if you're not always up against the physical RAM limit and performance isn't such a slog that it's more annoying to you than not, then there's nothing you really need to worry about at the moment.

Reactions: cynicoren

cynicoren

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Not that the pricing is the same, but you'd probably get a lot more out of buying a 5600/5700X (pricing has been weird lately and the 5700X has been a great deal) than moving up to 32GB DRAM.
I don't know how to do it myself (replacing a CPU or a MB), but replacing a memory is easy. So you too say there's no point for the 32GB upgrade?