Question Should I fix my computer or put it to rest?

Apr 6, 2020
I realize it's a kinda subjective question, but I'd appreciate some advice -
My computer died. The outlet it's sitting on short circuited and since then - will not boot at all, no beep, nothing.
I tested my power supplier (green to black with a multimeter, fan turns on and gives some power) and it seems ok.
So now I suspect the motherboard, though I can't see any burns/leaks etc on it...
I'm trying to decide if I should buy a new motherboard (well, an old one - CPUis 4th gen i5) and hope for the best, or just scrap it and buy a used one.
For the record - money is an issue, and this while this PC is old it serves my needs (used for officework) absolutely fine.
also considering replacng to a new budget cpu, both as a slight upgrade and in case it's dead as well.
Other components include 8GB DDR3 ram, my trusted hard drive with all my un-backed-up data, cpu fan, cd drive, nothing super fancy.

Do you think it's reasonable to just assume the motherboard went? go for CPU change as well? or just by a used crappy pc for not much more than motherboard+cpu?

Thanks in advance!

I realize it's a kinda subjective question, but I'd appreciate some advice -
My computer died. The outlet it's sitting on short circuited and since then - will not boot at all, no beep, nothing.
I tested my power supplier (green to black with a multimeter, fan turns on and gives some power) and it seems ok.
So now I suspect the motherboard, though I can't see any burns/leaks etc on it...
I'm trying to decide if I should buy a new motherboard (well, an old one - CPUis 4th gen i5) and hope for the best, or just scrap it and buy a used one.
For the record - money is an issue, and this while this PC is old it serves my needs (used for officework) absolutely fine.
also considering replacng to a new budget cpu, both as a slight upgrade and in case it's dead as well.
Other components include 8GB DDR3 ram, my trusted hard drive with all my un-backed-up data, cpu fan, cd drive, nothing super fancy.

Do you think it's reasonable to just assume the motherboard went? go for CPU change as well? or just by a used crappy pc for not much more than motherboard+cpu?

Thanks in advance!
Judging by symptoms it's most probably the PSU at fault, your test shows only that fan is working.

Reactions: eyalwor
Apr 6, 2020
That's nice to hear, as that would be a cheaper story... I'm struggling to find any alternative PSU to test it with due to the whole lockdown situation here, any idea as to how check this one?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
That's nice to hear, as that would be a cheaper story... I'm struggling to find any alternative PSU to test it with due to the whole lockdown situation here, any idea as to how check this one?

Generally speaking, either have a load tester (that will be the price or a few dozen PSUs) or swap out the PSU. Those cheapie PSU testers really only verify if it's dead as a doornail.

With a more detailed spec list, we may be able to point you in a less vague sense.

Reactions: eyalwor
Apr 6, 2020
Just updating - Tried the new PSU, that's not the problem :/
Since I have a brand new PSU, decent CPU fan, my HD and 8GB ram (DDR3), I think I'll buy myself a new motherboard+CPU+a small SSD for the OS and some stuff, and hopefully both upgrade and be able to call it a day...
Any reason why that wouldn't make sense?