Question Should I get a 4090 or go for a 4080?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

valthuer

Upstanding
Oct 26, 2023
I don't just play games at 1080p, I also do a lot of advanced 3D modeling and rendering in Blender.

Cycles render uses ray-tracing, and the more GPU horsepower, the faster it renders.

Sounds like all the more reason to go for the leader.

When it comes to 3d modeling, 4090 is a no-brainer.

Performance-wise, if you game at 1440p, the RTX 3080 should give more than enough but that 10GB VRAM buffer will be a problem sooner rather than later. Hell, it's a problem already if you tend to enable ray-tracing. The extra 6GB of VRAM is one of the reasons I chose the RX 6800 XT over the RTX 3080.

The RTX 4080 has 16GB of RAM and while that's still pretty crappy for a card in its performance tier, the RTX 4090 isn't worth it as it's 55% more expensive despite being only 28% faster. I don't know if 16GB will be problematic for the RTX 4080 in the future so I don't know if the price difference is worth it or not. If you must have nVidia, then I my gut would say that, for your purposes, the RTX 4080 would be the way to go, especially in light of the RTX 4090's recent price increases. If you don't necessarily need nVidia, then I would recommend the RX 7900 XTX because it has similar performance to the RTX 4080 with the same 24GB of VRAM as the 4090.

Marcus92

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2012
It shouldn't surprise you.

Cyberpunk can give a hard time even to a 4090

let alone a 3080.
Cyberpunk It s bad optimized, starfield It s Better optimized. With starfield It s playable in ultra 4k With smooth 60 FPS, for an RPG open world It says a lot.

It s like an puzzle : for to complete an puzzle do you Need 1000 Pieces instead of 100 - means that It require more time and effort, and having more piece to analyze= It's fault of the puzzle having 1000 Pieces or your that you aren't enable to complete the puzzle in the same time as the 100 Pieces puzzle?

valthuer

Upstanding
Oct 26, 2023
Cyberpunk It s bad optimized, starfield It s Better optimized. With starfield It s playable in ultra 4k With smooth 60 FPS, for an RPG open world It says a lot.

It s like an puzzle : for to complete an puzzle do you Need 1000 Pieces instead of 100 - means that It require more time and effort, and having more piece to analyze= It's fault of the puzzle having 1000 Pieces or your that you aren't enable to complete the puzzle in the same time as the 100 Pieces puzzle?

3 years after its release, it's not a question of bad optimization anymore: Cyberpunk is just a demanding game, which incorporates latest generation features, like path tracing and ray reconstruction.

In order to ensure a smooth gameplay, you need a top tier card.

Same goes for Starfield: at 4K Ultra 60, only 7900 XTX and 4090 will cut it:

Marcus92

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2012
3 years after its release, it's not a question of bad optimization anymore: Cyberpunk is just a demanding game, which incorporates latest generation features, like path tracing and ray reconstruction.

In order to ensure a smooth gameplay, you need a top tier card.

Same goes for Starfield: at 4K Ultra 60, only 7900 XTX and 4090 will cut it:

3 years ?isn't an time matter.. but develoments itself - the Major optimizations are made before the release the game. The thing It's demanding for to have more or demanding for to have less? Cyberpunk haven't the best Graphic around ...