[SOLVED] Should I get a better CPU

alexander0hamilton

Reputable
Aug 12, 2018
My build right now is a 2700x and a gtx 1660 ti. When I play games, the CPU usually stays around 30-40% usage and the GPU stays around 95% usage. If I get a better CPU, like the 5600x, will I see a performance gain?

Solution
Depends on the resolution you play and the game. If you are playing at a higher resolution like 1440 then more work will be on the GPU, or if you are playing a game like Cyberpunk again the GPU will be doing the work. You will always see a higher GPU usage then CPU, this is normal and what you want (if it was opposite that means you have a CPU bottleneck) as the GPU is doing the majority of the work. If you play high FPS games like CS:GO, COD etc then the faster single core performance of a 3000 or 5000 series CPU may give you more FPS in those games if that's important to you.

Personally I would stick with the 2700X and upgrade your GPU when cards are actually available and bump up to 1440 gaming if you arent already.
Depends on the resolution you play and the game. If you are playing at a higher resolution like 1440 then more work will be on the GPU, or if you are playing a game like Cyberpunk again the GPU will be doing the work. You will always see a higher GPU usage then CPU, this is normal and what you want (if it was opposite that means you have a CPU bottleneck) as the GPU is doing the majority of the work. If you play high FPS games like CS:GO, COD etc then the faster single core performance of a 3000 or 5000 series CPU may give you more FPS in those games if that's important to you.

Personally I would stick with the 2700X and upgrade your GPU when cards are actually available and bump up to 1440 gaming if you arent already.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution