Should I get a desktop or a laptop for Animation school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asem1123

Reputable
Feb 6, 2018
I'm currently in high school, and I want to apply for Animation and or Video Editing / Special Effects for college later. I have 2 years remaining at home, and if I move out for college, do I need to bring my computer to class (laptop) or can I just leave it at let's say a dorm (desktop). I really want the value and performance of a desktop, but I don't know if portability is required for these kinds of things. I already have a laptop but it's only a 4th gen core i3 with integrated graphics. So, should I get a desktop and keep using my current laptop or should I get a new laptop?

I already have my PC part list for $1200: (there will be a lot of disks because... I really need them)
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RKnLgw

iaminsensible

Proper
Jan 1, 2019
If I were you, I would purchase the Desktop 100%. The laptop may be required in the class, but I believe that in 2 years you will have the money to buy a decent laptop. The desktop will last for a long... long time and trust me when I say that, a laptop at 1k, may disappoint you. I have already purchased two laptops (1x1500$ and 1x1400$) Both have disappointed me, and I do not intend in buying another laptop for more than 500$ ever again. I understand that this is very subjective, but with a thousand dollars, a desktop can have as much power as three times that laptop.

Nigel94

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2016
You can use [Redacted by Moderator] to connect to your desktop portably from your laptop however there needs to be someone near your pc at home to click the accept button. I do this to connect to my pc from work sometimes. you can try for yourself its a free download

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.