Question Should I get a gaming monitor, even if I don't game at all? Or stick with an office monitor?

Nov 1, 2022
Hi All,

Following up on my previous post, I have been strongly considering a 38" LG ultrawide monitor. Initially I was looking at this monitor which is seemingly on sale currently. I actually pulled the trigger on it but then cancelled my order not long after as I just happened to see this 38" LG ultragear monitor which offers a faster refresh rate (from 60 Hz to 144 Hz) a faster response time (from 5 ms to 1 ms) and is brighter (from 300 nits to 450cd/m².) The ultragear is a modest $50 more for the upgrades mentioned above.

The ultragear model is an older model (2020?) as where the ultrawide started being made in 2021 I believe.

If I am mostly using it for office tasks / productivity, is there any reason not to pay the extra $50 for the gaming monitor? Would it be any less efficient or not as optimal for text clarity or what have you? I'm likely overthinking this but just wanted to do a sanity check as evidenced by my previous post, I keep and use my hardware for the long haul.

Thanks for your opinions.

A higher refresh rate can be more relaxing for the eyes because they don't get triggered by the in between blanking that much.
A high response time can help with reducing smearing when dragging or scrolling stuff.
But the differences are also so small that they are mostly irrelevant.
It would be great if you could see one in action to see if there is any difference for you.

Nov 1, 2022
A higher refresh rate can be more relaxing for the eyes because they don't get triggered by the in between blanking that much.
A high response time can help with reducing smearing when dragging or scrolling stuff.
But the differences are also so small that they are mostly irrelevant.
It would be great if you could see one in action to see if there is any difference for you.

Thank you for your insight. Unfortunately no stores in my area have these two monitors, otherwise I would definitely go see them both in person.

I'm not really concerned about spending the extra $50, it kind of seems like a no brainer to go with the ultragear monitor for every day use, but I just wanted to see if there is anything I may be unaware of or am not seeing.