Should I Get A Monitor or TV

G

I will soon be obtaining enough money to buy a decent monitor or TV. There. I plan to use one of the two to replace my current monitor. I was thinking of using a TV because I had this idea to do what quite a few people seem to be doing where they get a wireless mouse and keyboard and game or whatever they do with their computer from their couch. At the same time, I want to be able to place it on my desk and work normally from it. I thought that maybe a TV would be better for this, especially since the TV I currently have is kind of pathetic and far bigger than I need for the space(I know, I have a TV that's TOO big! Such a shocker!). There's also some things about it that are kind of a nusance to me, such as the fact that it's an older CRT TV, which naturally means there's only an AV cord slot and coaxial cable slot.

However, my budget won't exactly be very high. The most I will probably be able to spend on this TV and/or monitor is $200. Evidently, this doesn't seem to be the easiest of things. What I want is probably significantly higher than I'll find a deal for. Being that I plan to use it as a monitor as well, I won't be settling for anything that doesn't have a higher resolution than 1280x720(or higher than 1366x768 if I decide to get a monitor instead). I would prefer something in 1080p, but if I decide to go with a monitor, I can live with something a step down, such as 1600x900. If it is somehow possible to find something in my budget, I would also like to have a higher refresh rate than the de facto standard 60hz. I haven't found anything within my budget for that though, so I'm willing to settle for 60.

Though, based on what I've seen, monitors are significantly cheaper with a bit higher specs. The issue I have is that I still have certain things I would like to be able to use with my TV or monitor that I would not be able to use. I would think there might be a workaround this, but I don't know if there is.

Anyway, the point of this post is that I'm not sure if I should get a TV and use that as both a monitor and a TV, or get a monitor that I can also use as a TV. I figured there'd be people on here that know quite a bit more about the two who might be able to give some insight on which would be better in my case.

Solution

Xivilain

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
Here's one for less than what your budget is, and it has speakers (which may not be the greatest, but still available nonetheless.)

$169
Acer S241HLbmid Black 24" HDMI Widescreen LED Monitor with Built-in Speakers
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009513

If you have a PC, I would always use a monitor over a TV for it. Unless its strictly left in the living room as a HTPC, but you did not specify that. A monitor has better controls and behavior with a PC than a TV does. Especially when it comes to sleep mode, auto-power down, and low power consumption overall.

Hope this helps!

G

Thaks for the help. The monitor I was looking at was only $120 though, so I think I might go with that. My biggest issue is that if I'm using the monitor for things that a tv is primarily watched using, such as gaming on a console or watching TV via one of those Roku boxes, then I will run into issue. Monitors don't exactly have an A/V cord slot(the red, yellow, and white cables that were pretty much the de facto standard for input on a tv before HDMI cords were a thing.) One thing in particular I have uses an RGB cable (one of these things: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bb/Ps3-component-cables.jpg/220px-Ps3-component-cables.jpg). I have checked to see if there's some way I can find something that could convert these cords to HDMI, but I haven't found anything that would appear to work that wouldn't involve me spending almost double what I originally would be spending if I bought a TV instead.

Xivilain

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014

I would stay away from cable adapters in this area... Its not exactly a straight conversion when you use adapters like that.

But, just so you know, they do make monitors with AV and Composite inputs, like this 24" Samsung T24C550ND:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T24C550ND-24-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00C18YUZU

Or this 22" LG M227WD with AV inputs:
http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-M227WD-lcd-monitor

You might be able to find one of those models for cheap if you shop around. They aren't all too common anymore.:\

Solution