Question Should I get an aftermarket display for my laptop?

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Hello...

I have a Lenovo G780 and its screen shattered internally somehow (no cracks on the outside and no laptop freefalls or anything like that) so I was wondering, should I get those screen replacements from eBay? Are they worth it? There are only a couple of reasonable priced ones, some are £250+ while some others are £50-60

The one in question I am considering is this one

Should I go for it? I've never actually replaced a laptop display but it doesn't look like something TOO hard if I am honest.

This is a bit tough to answer, there are "generic" panel replacements use the same brand of screen as the actual laptop vendor. But not all. You will need to ask the seller what brand of screen it is, if you never heard of the brand, display may not be as nice. Also do not change resolution or try to add a touch screen, a lot of times changes like that with a laptop screen causes issues, some pretty funny like having the screen split in two or in 4ths.

I wouldn't buy used unless this is not your daily laptop, u just want to pass it down to your little brother at least cost. Screens wear and darken.

I would also ask vendor whether he guarantees no dead pixels.

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
I wouldn't buy used unless this is not your daily laptop, u just want to pass it down to your little brother at least cost. Screens wear and darken.

I would also ask vendor whether he guarantees no dead pixels.

In the description it says that 2-4 dead pixels are acceptable. The screen is not used. It's just not original and comes from Third Party vendor

This is a bit tough to answer, there are "generic" panel replacements use the same brand of screen as the actual laptop vendor. But not all. You will need to ask the seller what brand of screen it is, if you never heard of the brand, display may not be as nice. Also do not change resolution or try to add a touch screen, a lot of times changes like that with a laptop screen causes issues, some pretty funny like having the screen split in two or in 4ths.

So you saying that if it's not from a good brand it may not be as good in quality and have weird issues like the ones you mentioned? But if it's from a known brand then chances of issues are lower. In other words, I should probably go for it...

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Also... Someone in eBay is selling these screens and apperantly the manufacturer of the screen he ships to you is totally random. If I order from them I will get a screen randomly from one of these manufacturers:
  • AU Optronics
  • Chunghwa
  • Chi Mei
  • HannStar
  • Hyundai-BOEhydis
  • Innolux
  • IVO
  • LG Philips
  • Quanta
  • Samsung
  • Sharp
  • Toshiba
I wonder if I can contact the seller and request a specific brand. Chi Mei sounds like a Chinese name and has red flags written all over it BUT surprisingly when I opened the laptop and looked at the panel's label so I can get the part number, Chi Mei is the one that made the original panel for Lenovo, should I go for them? Or does anyone here recommend another brand?