Should i get an overclock-able version of my CPU?

TheNards

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
I want to get a i7 3770k. But its slightly out of my budget. I saw the i7 3770 was 50-ish dollars cheaper, and i was wondering if its even worth it to get the overclocking version. I don't know how to overclock. Nor do i plan on doing. Do you need a special motherboard to overclock? Should i look into overclocking? Does it have an impact on gaming?

Solution
1. If you don't plan on overclocking then no, don't get the K.
2. Overclocking is not "free" extra performance; you pay more for the CPU, more for the MB, and more for the cooling.

bradsctt

Distinguished

if you are only going to be doing gaming, you may as well go with a 3570 or 3570k. z77 is the best for overclocking

blade of grass

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Do you plan on just gaming on this system? If yes then I would suggest going for an i5.
Besides that,
I would recommend overclocking, as you are basically getting extra performance for free. It's quit easy and there are many good guides out there (I believe Linus Tech Tips has one, OC3d does, and I think Newegg does).
Speaking of that, you don't actually need a special motherboard, as long as it is a Z77 (the others don't allow overclocking).
It might not give you extra performance in gaming, but in other applications it will give you abit more.

TheNards

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

I do plan on gaming, and possibly making video content. I want to get an i7 so i have HT. Next-gen consoles have 8 cores, so i want a CPU that also has 8 cores, because developers may start to use more than 4 cores.