Should i get the i5-3500K or i5-2500K?

CrispyFry

Prominent
Aug 9, 2017
I did my research and at first i was sold on buying the 3570K but i read somewhere that the 2500K OC's better, and I'm new to overclocking BTW. The pricing difference is +/-$10.

Currently i have an:
I3-3220
4Gigs of RAM (used to be 8, the other one recently died on me)
and a GTX 1050

Solution
Okay buying a cpu just for overclocking, is like picking between a Porsche or a Volkswagen with a small engine performance increase, and picking the VW. Clearly if you go with the Porsche in the first place you would be faster no matter what. The 2500k may oc good, but that doesn't mean that it has a higher performance than the 3570k. In fact the 2500K is bad compared to a 3570k, which uses less power, needs less cooling, and probably OC wayy better due to not hitting mobo max tdp as quickly.

CrispyFry

Prominent
Aug 9, 2017
currently using the p8h61-m lx plus r2.0. i already knew that OCing also depends on the MOBO, i think for this chipset z77?, but i saw online somewhere that there are also other models that can OC(?).
P.S. im not in a rush to overclock, i mean i can save up enough money to buy a new MOBO too if need be.

xXxREBELOxXx

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2015
Okay buying a cpu just for overclocking, is like picking between a Porsche or a Volkswagen with a small engine performance increase, and picking the VW. Clearly if you go with the Porsche in the first place you would be faster no matter what. The 2500k may oc good, but that doesn't mean that it has a higher performance than the 3570k. In fact the 2500K is bad compared to a 3570k, which uses less power, needs less cooling, and probably OC wayy better due to not hitting mobo max tdp as quickly.

Solution

mrjack2207

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
Is there a reason you want these rather old processors ?, are you not able to get a 6th/7th gen I5 ?

Mey be he dont want to buy the new MB his old board supports these CPU only or may be he getting OLD system

xXxREBELOxXx

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2015

He is upgrading his CPU, these are compatible and in his price range I assume. You know instead of buying new Ram, Mobo, Processor, Cpu Cooler ect.

CrispyFry

Prominent
Aug 9, 2017

i suppose i can ask you more on this matter? what's a good after market cooler right now? obviously i'm on a tight budget. also it has to work well in the CM hyper 212.

P.S. thanks for the help

xXxREBELOxXx

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2015

So if you don't mind replacing them every couple years, there is an AIO water cooler. These provide excellent cooling, not to mention that the radiator exhausts the heat directly out the case. Were an air cooler just blows heat around inside the case, raising the temps of every major component essentially. This cooler will provide very good cooling and handle as much overclocking you can pull from that 3570k. I don't recommend buying it from newegg.com though because that price is a bit higher than normal. So here is what I recommend for a AIO water cooler
~ https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6J35S10074&cm_re=maelstrom-_-13C-002K-00037-_-Product

For something that lasts longer and is cheaper but isn't as efficient, there is air cooling which I'm sure you are familiar with. This air cooler is very good at dissipating heat, as it has 6 heat pipes. It is also somewhat quiet as well.
~https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835103202

CrispyFry

Prominent
Aug 9, 2017
Last question, one of my RAM sticks just died, like literally just 5 min ago. And when playing OW sosome times the game crashes, i've already turned down the settings and render scale and had only OW run but sometimes it still crashes. So should i buy RAM for now instead or a better CPU?

xXxREBELOxXx

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2015
Even your I3 is fine for overwatch, what I think happened is when you first installed overwatch it scanned your ram. So now that half is missing, OW doesn't update this so it may use more ram than you have available. Lowering settings wont fix a crash, they happened because something went wrong. So you need to reinstall overwatch or if that doesn't work try resetting any overclock (check ram clock to make sure it didn't change) to confirm it's not that.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Our of the 2, the i5-3570k is considerably stronger than the i5-2500. There were several upgrades done to the Ivy Bridge cpus that were missing in the Sandy-Bridge, mainly instruction sets, and L-cache ram, but also extended into exactly how the cpu was oc'd. Ivy introduced the lack of need for BCLK (buss clock) OC, which simplified OC greatly. A i5-3570k will hit 4.3GHz (usually) and require nothing more than a bump to 43 on the multiplier, the rest can be default settings. Anything faster and you'll be digging into the bios to start disabling eco settings, set LLC, and some few other settings in a true OC.

As far as a ram stick just dieing, that's rare. Usually ram, if it's going to die, does so during change. As in the user messed with it physically, tried to OC a cpu (pre-ivy and amd) and forgot the added buss speeds affect ram too, or at times like boot, when you get voltage/current input rush from ram that was previously sitting with no power. I'd be running cpu-z and testing for boot with both sticks individually, forget the game, and try different slots on the mobo with each stick. Make sure bios is returned to default settings (usually F5) before hand.