[SOLVED] Should I have two IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers?

Nov 12, 2019
Hello, I am very new to pc building and gaming so please forgive if this makes no sense.

But basically, i bought a used gaming pc from someone and its been having blue screen crashes like crazy. I think i narrowed it down to either a physically bad M.2 SSD or a needed driver update for it.

When i asked the previous owner for help he told me I should update the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller" in "device manager". But under "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller" there are two controllers, "AMD SATA Controller" and "Standard SATA AHCI Controller".

My question is how do I know which controller is being used or does it matter. Like I said earlier, I am very new to all of this so I apologize for my ignorance. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
My question is how do I know which controller is being used or does it matter.
Yeah ... that can't really be answered without knowing motherboard model and reading motherboard user manual.
Generally each sata port is designated to one of sata controllers. You read user manual, to determine, which port belongs to which controller.

And yes - it matters.

BTW - in device manager, there is an option to "View devices by connection". That will show, which device is connected to which controller.
My question is how do I know which controller is being used or does it matter.
Yeah ... that can't really be answered without knowing motherboard model and reading motherboard user manual.
Generally each sata port is designated to one of sata controllers. You read user manual, to determine, which port belongs to which controller.

And yes - it matters.

BTW - in device manager, there is an option to "View devices by connection". That will show, which device is connected to which controller.

Last edited:
Solution