Should I install Windows 10 on my new SSD or clone all my files from the old SSD to the new one?

Jun 1, 2018
I currently have 2 storage devices. I recently bought the Samsung 970 EVO 500GB and I want Windows 10 to boot from that device. Right now I have Windows 10 booting from my older Samsung 850 EVO 500GB. I would like most of my programmes and files to be stored on the 850 EVO, but at the same time I want some programmes and games to be stored on the new 970 EVO.

What would be the better option, to install Windows 10 on the 970 EVO and then move programmes and games over from the 850 EVO?
Or to clone all files and programmes from the 850 EVO to the 970 EVO and then format the 850 EVO and move some files and programmes back to that SSD?

If I install a new Windows 10 on the 970 EVO and then boot from that device, will I be able to open programmes or games that are still on the 850 EVO, or will I need to reinstall all of my programmes and games to the right drive?

Ralston18

Titan
My recommendation is to clone.

Why?

Cloning is fairly straightforward and easy to do.

Once the clone is made, you unplug the source drive, and plug in the clone (target drive) and immediately know if the clone worked or not.

You can test the clone for a few days; let it run, game, do all the things you normally do - just to ensure that the new SSD does not have any problems.

Cloning preserves your original drive until you are sure that the new drive is working correctly and fully functional. If there is an issue, just put the original drive back and try again.

Your data is in two places. (However I would recommend getting an additional drive or storage location to back up all data - just in case.)

Once you are confident about the new drive then start moving things around. But only "one thing at a time" and be ready to undo if something goes astray.

The simpler the process the better.

Key is to think it through, plan it out, be methodical, be careful. Watch what goes on and always ensure that your backups are made and readable.

There are other ways/options and there will be other suggestions. No problem with that on my end.

t53186

Distinguished
Agree with Ralston 18, would add my comment. You won't be able to "move" your programs from the old to new drive, that would require you to reinstall them. Cloning eliminates that, Also as pointed out Backup what you cannot lose.

USAFRet

Titan

Assuming consumed space and drive size works, do a full clone from the old drive to the new drive.
You can't install the OS, and then "clone" files and programs. Doesn't work like that.

If you do a clean install on the 970, you can't use the applications living on the 850.

850 EVO = 500GB
970 EVO = 500GB
No problem.

Full clone from one to the other, just like this:
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the 450MB Recovery Partition, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall
-----------------------------