Question Should I invest in a 1000w PSU?

treptile

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
Around 2013, I bought my first PC setup at GTX 970 and 650W PSU

10 years have pass by and just this past week, I've upgraded to a 3070ti and the 650W PSU still works with it ... but I would like to also upgrade my PSU for safety and perfomance. I was looking to get a 850W but I was unsure...

I'm 80% sure that I probably won't need to upgrade for another 8/10 years but I would like to ask for other peoples opinions and see what they say.

I mean, I saw this meme were we might need to plug our GPUs directly into the power socket in the future...

treptile

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
What's the brand and model of the PSU?

Any of the Tier A 1000W psu, probably the NZXT c1000 since its the cheapest right now, I feel like down the line in maybe 20/30 years I could resell the thing if need be, but im probably thinking to far ahead

But as of right now Im just wondering if I would need it for the next generation of GPUs that might require more power within the next 10 years if I do so need to upgrade..

feel like down the line in maybe 20/30 years I could resell the thing if need be, but im
Will be irrelevant in that time frame.

I would need it for the next generation of GPUs that might require more power within the next 10 years if I do so need to upgrade..
More realistic, for reference I bought a 1000W Seasonic GX Gold PSU for peace of mind when I upgraded a couple of years ago.