Should I invest in overclockable hardware?

nirdinur

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
I want to build a new pc for gaming but I will not overclock it for now. I'm thinking that maybe in the future I will overclock it. How much more do I have to spend now to keep my options open?
tried to compare myself but didn't find a store that had 2 comparable setups.

Thanks for your help

Solution
To keep your option open, always chase high quality PSU first, that goes for any purpose.
Order of procurement

■ Graphic card and screen resolution, GTX 1050Ti / RX 470 or older equivalent for 1080p monitor, GTX 1060 6GB / RX 480 for WQHD monitor, GTX 1070 / Fury X for dual 1080p, and so on.
    ■ Motherboard and RAM, for skylake the reasonable choice would be Z170, most latest PC games are not CPU intensive, RAM intensive, and storage intensive, however, having fast quad core skylake scales all the way to flagship GPU such as Titan X Pascal and Radeon Pro Duo, plenty RAM space would be useful for certain games such as GTA V, fast M.2 storage will load scenes faster than SATA SSD.
    ■ CPU, go for unlocked K series.
    ■ RAM
    ■ Storage
    ■ CPU...

Ak74Egy

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
Well currently this would be your options for a gaming PC

Part / Non-overclockable / Overclockable
CPU i5 6500 / i56600K
CPU Cooler Fan or Liquid (different models,manufactures, features)
Motherboard B170 or H170 (different models,manufactures) / Z170 (different models, manufactures)
RAM 16GB DDR4 (", ", speeds)
Video Card Nvidia GTX 1060/70/80 (", ", " memory size)
Video Card Contd. AMD RX 460/470/480 or prev gen (", ", ", ")
PSU Depends on setup review estimated wattage, get one that will be enough to power your machine, would recommend Seasonic and Corsair
Case Depends on setup, get one that will fit everything, and has good airflow, spaces for fans, front USB, and looks good

Spend more than what? There are locked CPU builds that can cost more than a Z170 build with the current generation of Intel processors. The opposite is also true. You simply have to shop around.

How much more do you have to spend on a complete PC? Will you spend less on parts for your new hand-built rig. It depends on how well you know how to shop and possibly how patient you are. Will you go to one site and buy all your parts from them?

In short Idk. It's you're PC. How much do you want to spend? How much extra or less for a complete PC? How much was my motherboard? $89. Does it support over-clocking my 4690K? Yes. GFX card overclockable? Yes. If you shop right? None.

Mikel_4

Respectable
Oct 15, 2016
To keep your option open, always chase high quality PSU first, that goes for any purpose.
Order of procurement

■ Graphic card and screen resolution, GTX 1050Ti / RX 470 or older equivalent for 1080p monitor, GTX 1060 6GB / RX 480 for WQHD monitor, GTX 1070 / Fury X for dual 1080p, and so on.
    ■ Motherboard and RAM, for skylake the reasonable choice would be Z170, most latest PC games are not CPU intensive, RAM intensive, and storage intensive, however, having fast quad core skylake scales all the way to flagship GPU such as Titan X Pascal and Radeon Pro Duo, plenty RAM space would be useful for certain games such as GTA V, fast M.2 storage will load scenes faster than SATA SSD.
    ■ CPU, go for unlocked K series.
    ■ RAM
    ■ Storage
    ■ CPU cooler
    ■ Fans
    ■ PSU

Solution