Should I keep GTX 970 evga Acx1 or sell it for a 290 x?

Jay879

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015
So i thought I got a really good deal on a evga gtx 970 cx1 for 200 brand new but Ive been reading online that there is a defect with the Acx1 models cooling idk how true this is or if it would only be something that would effect me if i overclocked my card am I better off keeping this card or should I just sell it and buy a 290 x? and is the cx1 really that bad or are people just being over dramatic?

Solution
The GTX 970 is a fair superior card over the ATI 290X...even though the benchmarks are similar, there is more to look at.

As stated above, the ATI Drivers are HORRIBLE...please let me just leave it there.

Next we have the issue of Power Consumption and Heat. R9 290X don't use enough power to require a 750W PSU, but all the cards state that is what's required. The GTX 970 requires only 500W PSU, or a 550W depending the model.

Furthermore, ATI does not have PhysX and nVidia does. Some argue that is a dead program/model, but I disagree. I notice a considerable difference with PhysX vs Non-Physx, but hey...it might just be my imagination.

If there really is a defect, where is the recall? Also, like many other things in life not all...

alichowdry

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
Well first off use a program that will show you the temps of your 970 when in games, if it is fine then I would definitely say to keep it because amd's drivers are terrible!!! and I personally think the 970 is better, but if you do see temp and cooling issues then yeah I suppose a 290x would be better than a dying 970!

hope this helps

Keep 970. A 290x wastes a lot more power and generates more heat than gtx 970. I wouldn't go as far as saying amd drivers are terrible, but they tend to get less updates than Nvidia drivers. A gtx 970 has a tdp of 170w so cooling it should be no problem.

Jake Held

Reputable
May 20, 2015
The GTX 970 is a fair superior card over the ATI 290X...even though the benchmarks are similar, there is more to look at.

As stated above, the ATI Drivers are HORRIBLE...please let me just leave it there.

Next we have the issue of Power Consumption and Heat. R9 290X don't use enough power to require a 750W PSU, but all the cards state that is what's required. The GTX 970 requires only 500W PSU, or a 550W depending the model.

Furthermore, ATI does not have PhysX and nVidia does. Some argue that is a dead program/model, but I disagree. I notice a considerable difference with PhysX vs Non-Physx, but hey...it might just be my imagination.

If there really is a defect, where is the recall? Also, like many other things in life not all products are bad based on a 'defect'. I recommend the same, test your system with a benchmark (3DMARK Firestrike is always good) and see where your FPS and Temps are. If you noticed something to be worried about then consider the change, but it everything is operating as it should...why worry?

That is like wanting to sell your car because someone else got a flat tire with the same model...if you are not having problems with your card, stick with the GTX 970 as it is a better card overall for sure!

Solution

Jay879

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015
Well I feel comfortable installing the 970 now I just didn't want this thing to blow up on me in a few months cause of the heat pipe haha. I really like how Nvidia has dsr and hair works Im upgrading from a 7950 so im sure this will be a good upgrade for me.