Question Should I keep my 100% Disk HDD?

Feb 17, 2019
My computer is pretty outdated and I've been getting 100% disk usage on my computer whenever I play a game that is somewhat demanding like DayZ or even Apex Legends. I've tried all possible solutions/fixes I've found on the internet but none seem to work for me. I already ordered more ram since I only have 8gb. If I buy an SSD as well, can I wipe my 100% disk usage HDD and still use it for random applications? Or is it not worth keeping it? Also will more ram and SSD fix this permanently?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97-D3H-CF
CPU: i5 4690K
GPU: GTX 750ti (overclocked)
Ram: Corsair Vengeance (2 x 4gb)
Storage: 1tb HDD

Last edited:

acecreator26

Commendable
Mar 9, 2018
My computer is pretty outdated and I've been getting 100% disk usage on my computer whenever I play a game that is somewhat demanding like DayZ or even Apex Legends. I've tried all possible solutions/fixes I've found on the internet but none seem to work for me. I already ordered more ram since I only have 8gb. If I buy an SSD as well, can I wipe my 100% disk usage HDD and still use it for random applications? Or is it not worth keeping it? Also will more ram and SSD fix this permanently?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97-D3H-CF
CPU: i5 4690K
GPU: GTX 750ti (overclocked)
Ram: Corsair Vengeance (2 x 4gb)
How large is your HDD? I would run your games off an SSD and keep files like microsoft word docs on your HDD. If you do get rid of your HDD, I would get two SSD's and install windows on one with programs and software, and then put your games on the other SSD.

Sure, wipe it and keep using it. Try a disk health check first, though - tools like Hard Disk Sentinel will show you how healthy the drive is.

I use my HDDs for game/video/music storage. Open world games - those that hit the disk a lot - would be better suited to put on a SSD. Games these days are quite large though.

Feb 17, 2019
How large is your HDD? I would run your games off an SSD and keep files like microsoft word docs on your HDD. If you do get rid of your HDD, I would get two SSD's and install windows on one with programs and software, and then put your games on the other SSD.
It's a 1tb. I researched a little bit online and other people are saying 1 SSD is better than having 2 SSD's or it doesn't make that much of a difference. And something about RAID 0 being risky because if one drive fails then you can lose everything (I haven't looked up what RAID 0 is).

Feb 17, 2019
Sure, wipe it and keep using it. Try a disk health check first, though - tools like Hard Disk Sentinel will show you how healthy the drive is.

I use my HDDs for game/video/music storage. Open world games - those that hit the disk a lot - would be better suited to put on a SSD. Games these days are quite large though.
Yeah I used a software called CrystalDiskInfo before, it said it's healthy. Hopefully a little more ram and an SSD can fix it.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
try process explorer and see witch one take the most of your hdd usage also when was the last time you did a full defrag and virus scan with malwares ones network out the best for tady games is a 250 gig ssd for os and a 1 tb hdd drive to host games files pictures and music with video and doc .

acecreator26

Commendable
Mar 9, 2018
It's a 1tb. I researched a little bit online and other people are saying 1 SSD is better than having 2 SSD's or it doesn't make that much of a difference. And something about RAID 0 being risky because if one drive fails then you can lose everything (I haven't looked up what RAID 0 is).
Personally, I'd rather have two of the same SSD, just for organization. I guess it's just highly subjective.

Feb 17, 2019
try process explorer and see witch one take the most of your hdd usage also when was the last time you did a full defrag and virus scan with malwares ones network out the best for tady games is a 250 gig ssd for os and a 1 tb hdd drive to host games files pictures and music with video and doc .
I tried process explorer and saw that google chrome takes up almost all the read/write. I haven't tried yet, but I'm guessing if I played a game, the read/write would be large. I did a full defrag yesterday and I used malwarebyte almost a month ago. I'll use malwarebyte again and possibly do a virus scan with an antivirus. Yeah I was thinking of putting OS, google chrome, and some of my high demanding games on my SSD and then the rest on the HDD.

Feb 17, 2019
try to do avirus scan at star up before os load also do you have any back up software running in background you could aslo use glary utilities and stop from start up and auto update software and keep only the os one for autoupdate .
I downloaded glary utilities and used most of the features as well as disabling start up softwares. I'm still getting 100% disk, but even at 100% my computer runs a little bit quicker which is good. Thanks.

Feb 17, 2019
try to use firefox as a browser and check if disc run at 100% also could you post a picture a glary page or the start up programs .
When I opened Firefox the first time, it went up to 70% and then back down. When I opened google chrome and Firefox a second time right after, it only went up to 20%. I feel like glary utilities made my computer run faster and doesn't get to a 100% disk as fast, but when I play a game it will spike up to 100%.
Here's the startup programs:
View: https://imgur.com/a/MON3lt9