Question Should I keep my ADATA XPG Gammix S50 or switch to ADATA XPG Gammix S70

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
I purchased a 1 TB version of the ADATA XPG Gammix S50 SSD (Amazon.com: XPG GAMMIX S50 1TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen 4x4 NVMe 1.3 Internal SSD (AGAMMIXS50-1TT-C): Computers & Accessories ) from Amazon for around $180 this past Black Friday. My intention was to use this SSD for a new gaming PC I plan to build. Like many PC gamers and enthusiasts, I am waiting for the availability of the AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU and either an Nvidia RTX 3070 or Radeon RX 6800XT GPU. The motherboard is an X570-based model from Gigabyte. My intention is to game at 1440p. A secondary use for my PC will be basic drone video editing (not Hollywood-level editing). I found out that the ADATA Gammix S70 SSD ( ADATA XPG Gammix S70 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD Review | TweakTown ) has just been released and the 1 TB version is around $200 on Newegg.

Now, I have not opened the packaging for either the SSD or any of the other PC components as I wait for the availability of the mentioned CPU and GPU. I do game, but I am not the 24/7 heavy gamer. I do enjoy playing a variety of game types such as first-person-shooter, point-and-click, and aerial/space dogfights. I know that the Gammix S50 has been out for at least a year and most likely has had any possible issues resolved while the Gammix S70 just came out. I also understand that despite the Gammix S70 having a faster read and write speed than the Gammix S50, manufacturer performance specifications do not always translate to performances in the real world. I also understand both mentioned SSDs are faster than the SATA III-based SSDs. I also wish to avoid going cheap or overkill. I would like my SSD to be capable of handling the job of gaming and video editing for the 3-4 year timeframe of use that I plan for the gaming PC. I have until January 31st to return the Gammix S50. Will the Gammix S50 meet my mentioned computing needs for the next 3-4 years and therefore I hold on to it or should I return it and get the Gammix S70 instead?

Thanks.

Last edited:

sonofjesse

Distinguished
I"m sure your outside the return window, but the S50 is on the tier A list.