Should i keep my games on my separate ssd OR in my windows installed hard drive, HELP!

May 13, 2018
I have an Acer nitro 5 gaming laptop, and it came with windows on the hard drive . But I had an m.2 ssd at home and I attached it to my laptop. So now I have windows on my hard drive and an unused ssd as well. So thinking as per performance (fastness ,loading speed) I was wondering to put my games on my ssd rather than my windows installed hard drive 1)Will it load faster on my separate ssd rather than my windows installed hard drive? 2)Do you think putting my programmes on the ssd as well will give higher speeds (programmes such as winrar and Corel draw, photoshop etc.)? Thanks in advance.

Solution

And by booting from a pendrive or DVD, you can also install the OS on your new SSD.
Don't have to wait for the current drive to die.

But...to your actual question:
The level loading for your games will be faster if they live on the SSD.
Programs will open faster. But tat is a fools errand, in that it is not as fast as if the OS and the programs were installed on the SSD.
An application...

USAFRet

Titan

You should actually reconfigure the whole thing.

What size is the SSD? Hopefully, no smaller than 250GB.
Ideally, that should hold the OS and all your applications. Plus maybe your 1 or 2 most used games.

Everything else, on the HDD.

May 13, 2018
I cannot install windows on the ssd because if and when I reset my laptop it will format and inatall windows on the hard drives I don't get to choose to put windows on the ssd so windows is stuck on the hard drive so no choice there but I want higher speeds (fastness, loading speed ) so I'm asking should I put my games on the ssd and as well as the programs to at least achieve the spped of the ssd is this an option what are your views .
( I have a m.2 NVME ssd installed)
Thanks in advance

USAFRet

Titan

That bolded statement is absolutely false.

What OS is this?

May 13, 2018
I did a complete reset of my laptop after the ssd installation from windows 10 reset my PC and it formated and installed windows and everything automatically .
I mean did I miss something when you do a reaet my PC in windows settings is there an option to chose where to install the windows

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, the factory reset, the way you did it, will install it on the "original" drive.

Here's a thought provoking question for you:
What happens when (not if) the original drive dies?

Again, what OS is this?

USAFRet

Titan

So..you did a "reset", and it reinstalled on the current drive.
Yes, that is what happens.

You can, of course, install that same Win 10 on the NVMe.
Just don't do it the way you did it.

If that current drive were to die...what would you do?
You'd install the OS on some other drive.

So...imagine that the current HDD has actually died. (it will one day)
Install the OS on the new SSD instead. Yes, you can do that.

If you want details, we can go into that.

May 13, 2018
Yea if the original drive dies then i loose the OS as in no more ''reset my PC ''
So then I can install by booting up windows by a pendrive or a disc...

But I just wanted to know since windows is currently on a hard drive and if I install my games on the ssd will it be faster and than being installed on the hard drives ,same for programs.

USAFRet

Titan

And by booting from a pendrive or DVD, you can also install the OS on your new SSD.
Don't have to wait for the current drive to die.

But...to your actual question:
The level loading for your games will be faster if they live on the SSD.
Programs will open faster. But tat is a fools errand, in that it is not as fast as if the OS and the programs were installed on the SSD.
An application opening also has to talk to the OS. Which, if it lives on the HDD....is still slow.

Having an SSD and not using it is a waste of SSD space.

Solution
May 13, 2018
Thank you for your answer and one more thing ,
Can you explain in detail what I have to do to intall windows 10 on the ssd .
It is an 250 GB NVME m.2 ssd. (Let's say I have windows 10 booted on my pen drive) then....
Thank you in advance

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
About 18 months ago, I got a MSI GS63VR that originally came with a 1TB HDD. Immediately I replace the 1TB HDD with a 750GB SSD. The system comes with a 128GB SSD for the windows boot drive. I install all my games on the 750GB SSD. You do want your OS and your games co-mingled on a single SSD if you can help it. I've had to re-image you boot drives several times due to experimenting with Windows 10 creator updates and such prior to them going live for general access, and sometime that became a disaster. It is so nice to be able to just redo the OS drive and not have to reinstall the games.