[SOLVED] Should I only have one drive connected to my new build when installing Windows?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2720853
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2720853

I am going to "build" my "first" PC soon (more like transferring parts from a prebuilt to a new case with a new motherboard) and I was wondering if during initial Windows installation I should remove every other drive and only keep the one I'm planning to install Windows on, then add the other ones later, which is what everyone that I've seen is recommending... or does this not matter at all as long as I choose the correct drive (and potentially diskpart clean the correct drive) during Windows setup?

I have my stuff backed up to another drive which I'm planning to use to get everything sorted after installation.

Solution
Absolutely one drive only.

Why?
It prevents any and all accidents. Yes, people do make a mistake
It also prevents Windows from putting the small boot partition on the other drive. Yes, it usuallly does that, through no fault of yours.

Actual physical disconnection.
D

Deleted member 2720853

People recommend that so you don't accidentally choose (and wipe) one of your mass storage drives.
My boot drive is 500GB, while my other disks (Crucial MX500 1TB SSD and WD 1TB HDD) are both, obviously, 1 TB. If I am careful with diskpart and make sure that I select my original boot drive (which isnt too hard considering the size difference), should be no problem having the other drives connected from the get go right?

D

Deleted member 2720853

remove other drive because windows sometime put the boot partition where ever it want.
Yeah that's what made me concerned enough to post this, better to not risk anything. I'll install Windows, shut the PC down and connect the other drives afterwards.

USAFRet

Titan

Why?
It also prevents Windows from putting the small boot partition on the other drive. Yes, it usuallly does that, through no fault of yours.

Solution
D

Deleted member 2720853

Why?

Alright I'll make sure I only have my 500GB SanDisk connected during the initial setup. Better safe than sorry.