Should I overclock fx 6300 to 5.0ghz if temps are good?

Sipan9000

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2015
System specs:
cryorig r1 ultimate cpu fan
fx 6300
msi 970 gaming mobo
evga gtx 960 ftw 2gb
600w evga 80p bronze psu
8gb 1833mhz gskill ram

I want to wait for the next gen cpu's to release before I upgrade the system but I want to squeeze a little extra power out of the 6300 for now. I have the fx6300 overclocked to 4.5ghz at about 1.48v seems like the chip overclocks good because it was very stable and after an aida64 stress test I only went up to about 42 C. I feel like the volts are too high to oc more, can I do it? The cryorig r1 seems like it's easily cooling the cpu so I'm not very worried about temp.

Solution
well at 42 from 4.5 it really seems that chip will handle at least 4.8....
Still I'm not that much optimistic... anything above 1.45 is not something to keep. if you can lower it to ~1.40 as reference say, then 4.8 and ~1.44v should be fine. Anything above 1.45 will shorten lifetime of CPU, most people say it have a year tops at that voltage.
well at 42 from 4.5 it really seems that chip will handle at least 4.8....
Still I'm not that much optimistic... anything above 1.45 is not something to keep. if you can lower it to ~1.40 as reference say, then 4.8 and ~1.44v should be fine. Anything above 1.45 will shorten lifetime of CPU, most people say it have a year tops at that voltage.

Solution

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
I only went up to about 42 C.
According to AMD website, the max temp is 70.5c. You can overclock a little more, but I don't recommend it as anything above 1.40v is considered high.

Use AMD Overdrive to monitor temps as other softwares have compatibility issues. Just note that it doesn't show the actual temperature but the difference between your temp and the max. So, higher is better.
While gaming, open task manager > performance. See if anything gets maxed. It might be the GPU bottlenecking you instead of the CPU.

The VRM’s on that motherboard are not great, fortunately the starting wattage of the 6300 is 95w which has probably helped getting to 4.5. I think your motherboard may well prevent you pushing much further even if the cpu could. You don’t know until you try.