Should I pre order threadripper ?

Shotta06

Honorable
May 4, 2017
I'm coming back to the states from Jamaica in October and have been waiting on Threadripper/Vega before I purchased parts. Its looking like the 1080Ti will remain the top so ill buy that. I will be coding, streaming, and,gaming so, I'm not interested in the 7700K and threadripper will outperform Ryzen.

My question is should I pre order the 1950X. I'm worried if I don't I wont be able to find one in stock come the end of September.

Is that a plausible analysis?

Solution
Coolers available now/at TR launch. AMD is tossing in an Asetek adapter with TR, so many many AIO coolers will work with socket 4094 right out of the box.

I'm considering the Fractal Designs S36 kit to hold me over until there's a decent open loop water block available for threadripper.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
If you budget has the room for it and at least 32gb of high speed ddr4, plus all the necessary accoutrements, that's awesome, but I don't think it will matter either way. We don't know exactly how the chip will perform(we can certainly extrapolate though), but I don't suspect the market will be large enough to saturate the supply. Especially not of the highest end TR. I think AMD will sell plenty, but I doubt it will run shortages, not with Skylake-X hitting the market first and taking up a bunch of the slack in the HEDT market(even with it's flaws).

Shotta06

Honorable
May 4, 2017
Well, from the benchmarks the 7820x and 7900x dominate the Ryzens although slightly. I understand,the price point is much higher, but with my job basically the faster I can push out software the more I make. Even if I am just a few hours a week faster a month or will pay for itself.

I'm not 100% sure im buying more like 85%. If it doesnt outperform the 7900x it will be that purchase.

I'm a gamer when not working. I may go SLi with the 1080Ti but atm not sure. Every 2-3 years I upgrade to the best for the past 12 years.

So, it seems the answer is the 1950x because of its price should not sell out?

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished

I'm not so sure about that. Specs for the Ryzen 7 1800x are 3.6 base clock - 4.0 boost. Meanwhile, specs for the 1950x are 3.4ghz base clock - 4.0 boost - VERY close. That means performance (multi-threaded) is going to be much higher (probably about 80% higher in fact) on properly threaded workloads...

So - the Ryzen Threadripper 1950x will have a much higher all-core base clock. While the 7900 series i9's will have a higher turbo clock (not surprised there) you don't buy these things for single core performance. You buy them for multi-threaded performance. I'm betting that at stock speeds, Threadripper > *

If you think you need that much performance, buy (pre-order) it. It's going to be an awfully powerful CPU.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

I looked that up earlier too, out of curiosity. Amazon had em in stock, as did a few other PCPartspicker vendors. When is intel supposed to come out with their higher core count skylake-xs? If they're soon, you might be best off waiting, Intel still has a pretty decent IPC advantage, so it's safe to say an 18 core I9 will handle an 18 core TR pretty handily. My 2cents.

No one wants to wait for any *actual gaming benchmarks* prior to ordering a $1000-$1200 Threadripper?

Interesting...and if I thought games scaled with more cores like Cinebench, I'd order one myself!

With a slightly higher base clock, it's entirely possible the best Threadripper might only rival the gaming performance of the 1800X; we will know soon enough. (For a pure gaming workload, we will soon know if we can have 'too many cores' for Windows gaming...; benchmarks should be out in 2 weeks?)

Shotta06

Honorable
May 4, 2017
No one wants to wait for any *actual gaming benchmarks* prior to ordering a $1000-$1200 Threadripper?

Interesting...and if I thought games scaled with more cores like Cinebench, I'd order one myself!

With a slightly higher base clock, it's entirely possible the best Threadripper might only rival the gaming performance of the 1800X; we will know soon enough. (For a pure gaming workload, we will soon know if we can have 'too many cores' for Windows gaming...; benchmarks should be out in 2 weeks?)

What's the point of your contribution? I feel as though your trying to downfall me because of the price. Obviously the CPU will sell out the same way the 7900x has and the price will be inflated.... Unless the CPU sucks in which I think is borderline impossible. If its garbage I return OR resell for 200 above MSRP..

I don't understand when you people always talk about gaming. Like that's all there is for peoples computing needs.

Shotta06

Honorable
May 4, 2017
Point of my posts?

Honestly?

The only benchmarks out on Threadripper are Cinebench...

If that works for you, and that's all you need for performance metrics before preordering, by all means, ....buy a pair of them....

Yes, what's the point? It will perform much better than the Ryzen. And for anything but gaming Ryzen 1700/1800 is close to a 7820x

Go above 1080P and the difference is,almost 0.

Now add a CPU twice as powerful with similar structure...

They just added a twin turbo and intake manifold to 1800x and your saying wait for benchmarks

We already know pretty much how Thraedripper will perform. Its 2 1800x's at the high end.

So its pretty easy choice. If you need a 16 core / 32 thread CPU that will perform slightly worse than 2 Ryzen 1800x's then I see no issue in pre-ording. The 1950x is going to be a beast albeit I don't think there will be any overclocking headroom without some very serious cooling but honestly if you are using 32 threads who cares.

One thing to look out for is bundles. There are going to be free games, discounts on monitors and discounts on Vega being bundled with Threadripper.

Preorder now, then...

We can all be 100% sure of rock solid stability in all applications for Windows 10 with the brand new chipset, and, we can all rest assured that an adequate supply of TR-compatible CPU coolers will hit the market.....just in time for the arrival of your CPU.

Dive in, Sir. Preorder away, nothing left to to consider, ponder, or fret over; your mind is made up...Cinebench will run outstanding, crank out that credit card and get that inflated Amazon pre-order price of $1200...RIGHT now...

What CPU cooler will you be using?

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished

Such shade throwing...

Look, I don't doubt that there -may- be some issues at launch. Almost every CPU has some issues that only arise when you get them out into the wild. Intel has issues. AMD has issues. Part of the issue with Ryzen at launch was that it was a brand new architecture, and the motherboard manufacturers didn't get a lot of time to work with the hardware and get time on them to fully work out the BIOS->CPU quirks.

This is a very different launch. While the chipset IS new, the architecture is NOT. It still is at it's core a Ryzen module, and they should have a pretty good handle on how things run. Will it be a picture-perfect launch? I doubt it. Do you think that AMD will allow people who are paying $600-$1000 per CPU to languish without identifying and correcting error and optimizing the AGESA microcode? Hell no.

Will this be an ideal gaming CPU? Probably not, but considering the base/boost clocks it's supposed to be running, it will be at -least- as good at gaming as a Ryzen 1700-1800. And since you could assign the streaming to anywhere from 4-8 actual physical cores and leave 8 cores or so for system and games, it should be more than capable.

Add in the fact you'll be able to run up to three 1080ti's in full x16 PCIe slots for SLI? It boggles the mind.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
I had to look up your term "shade throwing", seeing as how I'm not hip(nor do I want to be, I'm old, proud gen-Xer).
While I might disagree with the OPs timing on his purchase(if he can sell those headphones for a decent sum and the if performance of the TR is better than the Ryzen 7, and it looks like it will be, then his purchase seems pretty sensible to me), that doesn't mean I wish him anything but the best. Some of us old fogies don't spend our lives wish ill or throwing muttered curses at others. Very old saying regarding catching flies with regards to honey or vinegar.

You do know the term shade throwing became popular in 1990? I'm a non-hip gen-x er too and have heard it used for decades.

Mostly the OP was going to get TR regardless so didn't really need to post this for opinions as we didn't help him make a decision.

I too wish him luck, If I didn't just build a Ryzen 1800x I might pick up a TR as well just for the hell of it.

Some of the bundles were very appealing indeed.

Shotta06

Honorable
May 4, 2017
Didn't buy a CPU cooler. I'm on business promoting building a company in Jamaica(have been here since January). My CPU and Mobo will be with my wife in till October. Once coolers are available I will certainly buy the appropriate AIO. If not, I will just liquid cool as I'm getting a Lian Li case. Not sure ill get 1 1080Ti or run them SLi. Also waiting on RAM reviews w.the CPU before I purchase.