Should I pre order threadripper ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shotta06

Honorable
May 4, 2017
I'm coming back to the states from Jamaica in October and have been waiting on Threadripper/Vega before I purchased parts. Its looking like the 1080Ti will remain the top so ill buy that. I will be coding, streaming, and,gaming so, I'm not interested in the 7700K and threadripper will outperform Ryzen.

My question is should I pre order the 1950X. I'm worried if I don't I wont be able to find one in stock come the end of September.

Is that a plausible analysis?

Solution
Coolers available now/at TR launch. AMD is tossing in an Asetek adapter with TR, so many many AIO coolers will work with socket 4094 right out of the box.

I'm considering the Fractal Designs S36 kit to hold me over until there's a decent open loop water block available for threadripper.

Solarion

Prominent
Jul 6, 2017
Coolers available now/at TR launch. AMD is tossing in an Asetek adapter with TR, so many many AIO coolers will work with socket 4094 right out of the box.

I'm considering the Fractal Designs S36 kit to hold me over until there's a decent open loop water block available for threadripper.

Solution
Hopefully no one will be strapping on 95 TDP capacity tiny micro radiator AIOs with such adapters, given TR4's 180 watt TDP, and what will undoubtedly be closer to 220 watt TDP (and actual power draw) under heavy rendering/prime loads...at stock clocks...

Can't wait to see what Noctua's coolers looks like for this.... :)