Should I RAID

Jonathan Harris

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
Hello this is my first time building a computer and I was wondering should I RAID two 64gb ssd for Linux and Windows and have all my Programs on a 1tb hard drive.

Solution
Slobodan-888 is dead on.

If you create a RAID-0 system and add 2 OS's you would need to partition the raid volume to create a "Dual Boot" a complete waste. Run 1 OS per SSD and set the system to boot from the drive you want.

As for SSD size for OS', 64gb is good for all OS's windows 8.1 pro is 34gb, you have room for expansion, but do not put any programs on that drive. Keep it strictly for OS and drivers.

As for Linux I understand it can be as little as a few MB to around 12gb for Sabayon.

I am a big advocate of RAID and have been running RAID systems for over 16 years and RAID with SSD's for my systems for nearly 7 years. If you can afford the RAID system, I say do it. You just have to make sure you know what you are getting...

Slobodan-888

Reputable
Jul 17, 2014
You should not, if you ask me. You should use one SSD for Linux and other for Windows. If you put them in RAID, it would be like having one SSD with both OS on it. Also, all programs that you use often (and that you want good performance from) should be installed on SSD as well. You can do this on Linux SSD, but on Windows one you will not have much space left. 1 TB drive should be used for storage (documents, videos, pictures,...) and for non crucial programs.

Amencerment

Reputable
May 22, 2014
Slobodan-888 is dead on.

If you create a RAID-0 system and add 2 OS's you would need to partition the raid volume to create a "Dual Boot" a complete waste. Run 1 OS per SSD and set the system to boot from the drive you want.

As for SSD size for OS', 64gb is good for all OS's windows 8.1 pro is 34gb, you have room for expansion, but do not put any programs on that drive. Keep it strictly for OS and drivers.

As for Linux I understand it can be as little as a few MB to around 12gb for Sabayon.

I am a big advocate of RAID and have been running RAID systems for over 16 years and RAID with SSD's for my systems for nearly 7 years. If you can afford the RAID system, I say do it. You just have to make sure you know what you are getting into. As failures do happen and you have to be prepared for them.

Have fun with your dual boot system.

Solution